Hedgehogs For A Change

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Andy-K2, Mar 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    A change from the news at the moment.

I promised the wife some time ago that I would set up a birdbox with a camera so she could watch the nest and when they fledge etc. Whilst I was at it I also bought the same camera to put in a Hedgehog House and we have had this fellow visiting every night for his supper a drink and a snooze.

The camera I bought is a wifi one so we can watch both cameras anywhere we are.https://www.green-feathers.co.uk/collections/hd-bird-box-cameras/products/wifi-bird-box-camera

PHOTO-2020-02-26-09-12-32 8.jpg

PHOTO-2020-02-26-20-39-15.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-23 at 18.50.31 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-23 at 18.50.31 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-23 at 18.50.31 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-23 at 18.50.31 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-23 at 18.50.31.jpeg

• Like Like x 26
    • Love You Love You x 2
  2. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Brilliant. That's something I've been meaning to do for the last, err. . . . . . . . 15 years. :weary_face:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Superb photography thanks for posting

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

That's a very vicious looking hedgehog.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Thanks for your comments guys. We knew we had hedgehogs in the garden although we have not seen them for some years. The bird box camera wifey has been waiting some time too so sorted that early Feb, I was so curious about the hedgehog it had to be done, so glad we did as we try to do our bit for the wildlife and well chuffed it’s paid off.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Great photos, we had regular visits from hedgehogs last year. One, sometimes two would call every evening about 10.30 for supper and then again during the night for a top up.

Then we had a badger come and visit and sadly have not seen the hedgehogs since.

Here's hoping that they are not on lock down, like the rest of us, and will return this year

• Like Like x 5
  7. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Gosh a Badger, I’d sell the wife to see them in our garden, Sadly the only Badgers I’ve seen are on tv and on the roadside. I only ever seen one alive and it ran across the road right in front of me and I hit it in a bus, I was gutted...We also get regular foxes and Slow Worms too although not see the Slow Worms for a year or two.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Our badger makes regular visits and digs under our fence and the next 2 houses along making a regular route.

as this is turning into a general wild life thread here is a rather poor photo of a chap I found sunning itself in our greenhouse yesterday!

IMG_2752.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    You are welcome to the badgers that visit my garden Andy. You'd better hang onto your wife though, ones enough for me. :)

Be careful what you wish for. The damage the little buggers cause is unbelievable. I have a sett about 50 metres from my rear boundary fence. They've bashed an access hole through a neighbours rear fence and subsequent holes through all our side fences for a run in all the gardens. There thay have torn up all the lawns looking for leather jackets. Eventually they vacated the sett and moved on. But I expect they will be back some time in the future.

Damage aside it was great to see them, especially the youngsters.

Used to have hedgehogs visit but not for some years now. Had them raise a litter one year. Found a clutch of hoglets in my greenhouse one year. Mother had a litter in a bag of straw I kept under the staging. I had to rig up a grille to keep the dogs out but allow the mother access to and from the nest.

I would love one of those camera nest boxes. But the only tree I can use for a box is about 30 metres down my garden. A bit too far to run a cable to. :(

I get foxes too. Although they are a right pain as I keep chickens. Had the lot wiped out 2 or 3 times over the years. Its heartbreaking to see the remains of half a dozen slaughtered chickens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    I put power in my shed by using those caravan leads so able to power the two cameras, oddly I was thinking of buying four decent laying chickens but with the foxes I just couldn’t, we lost the kids rabbit a few years ago by a passing fox. Bugger explaining that to the kids,

• Like Like x 1
  11. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Before I got my last batch of hens ( rehomed ex battery ones ) I bought a great big walk in run about 3 x 8m. Stupidly we still let them have the run of the bottom third of the garden during day light hours.. We don't like to see them cooped up. We've got away with that so far. It is nice to be self sufficient for eggs. They taste wonderful too.

I have power in my shed/ work station, via an extension lead but that's still about 25m from my nest box. Will have to satisfy ourselves watching them from afar.

• Like Like x 3
  12. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Just got myself one if these

Bushnell Core Nature Camera.

Runs on batteries and the six AA batteries allegedly last for nine to twelve months.

We bave a badger that runs up and down our path and a fox with a limp.

Alfie

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    #13 Andy-K2, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Got my eye on one for a couple of months time as I've already spent a fortune on the two camera setups I have, even had to buy a router and two wifi range extenders to get the wifi range. If you could and don't mind, please post a picture or two so I can see what sort of picture I could get when I purchase one, please.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Got to be one of the saddest tales I've heard and I'm not overly a softy. Its good to know us unruly and scary bikers have a heart for our local wildlife. Awesome effort everyone. Theres a guy on here (I think) that saves Bumble Bees with a sugar water, I was well impressed with that, I tried it but it has to be more of a thick droplet than sugar water but of course I know now for when I see a Bee out of fuel.

• Like Like x 3
  15. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    #15 alfie, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020

Screen grab form a MP4 movie clip. I have it set to record 10 seconds when it detects movement. I have only set it to operate during the hours of darkness.
    Alfie

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 16.19.15.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Man that is awesome... Thank you so much alfie, fantastic photo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    • Like Like x 4
  18. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    It's not surprising there are no more hedgehogs once the badgers turned up,they are well known for eating hedgehogs...l saw a video of it once...horrible!
    We used to get lots of hedgies in our garden but very seldom now , they are an becoming an endangered species

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    That's lovely footage Andy. Sorry to be pedantic mate but I think that's a Great Tit you have in the box.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

All tits are great :p

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1