Heavy Throttle Return Spring

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Futterman, Apr 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Futterman

Futterman Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Kentucky, USA
    I've noticed that the throttle return spring is fairly robust compared to my other two bikes. Maybe it's something I'll get used to but it would be nice if it wasn't necessary to grip the throttle so tightly to keep it open.

The spring looks like a spiral type mounted to the butterfly shaft. Maybe not the easiest to change out to a slightly lighter tension spring but wondering if anyone has done it successfully.

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Can't say I've noticed this on mine but equally I don't find I have to grip particularly tightly either :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Does the throttle return promptly on release I.e. snap back?
    If not then I'd leave as is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Futterman

Apr 3, 2019
    Kentucky, USA
    Yes it operates fine, just has more tension than I’m accustomed to. It’s Not unlivable just would be better if it was a tad lighter.

5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I know what you mean, my last Honda was ok except on a motorway run when it gave me wrist ache. The 765 being fly by wire is miles lighter.
    Are you comparing cable to cable or have you done the reverse of my situation?

6. Futterman

Apr 3, 2019
    Kentucky, USA
    Both of my other bikes have throttle cables and smaller grips than the T-Bird. So the T-Bird with fatter grips already has mechanical advantage but is definitely still heavier. I don’t think it’s a problem around town but I’m planning a big trip next month and I’m wondering if it will be fatiguing.

7. Futterman

Apr 3, 2019
    Kentucky, USA
    I probably just need to man up! :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    If you need to so do I.
    I've got arthritis and carpal tunnel and found the tbird throttle hard work.
    I put two heavy duty elastic bands round the outside of the grip and it now feels a lot easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hi Futterman. I fitted a Kaoko Throttle Resister to my T120. Easy job. It enables me to keep the revs up without gripping continuously. Worth a look.

• Thanks Thanks x 1