Heated Grips........

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Pegscraper, Nov 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Does anyone have the Triumph heated grips fitted and if so how good are they? They are nearly 4 times the price of the Oxford grips I have on the dirtbike and they are very good.

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I had triumph heated grips on NUDGER :cool:(2018 Speedmaster) and they were very good :)
    I now have a TWAT:cool: (Tiger 800) fitted with Oxford heated gloves and they are very good as well :)
    I don’t think that the Triumph ones are worth 4 times as much though :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Oxford ones are simply great value compared to the official ones and get way hotter.
    Only upside is having the grips icon in the TFT display and not locating somewhere for the controller to go but thats it. (IMHO)
    I had the oxford tour ones on the busa but I soldered the cables (and heat-shrinked) the joins together to get rid of the big white connections. Looks WAY better that way and more "integrated".
    Also, it looks to me like the triumph ones won’t last as long either (thinner).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The Oxford heated grips are far hotter than the Triumph ones and have more heat levels. The current ones have up to 6 or 7 different settings and are very good.

The Triumph ones, at least on my 2014 Tiger do not get anywhere near as hot and only have 2 heat settings, warm and not so warm!

The only advantage that the Triumph ones have is that they are integrated into the bike and the Oxford grips have an ugly great controller that has to be mounted on the bars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Thanks guys. You've confirmed what I was thinking. I don't mind paying out for quality kit but I can't see nearly £200 in a couple of grips and a bit of wiring and if the Oxford's are as good or better, that's sealed it. The Oxfords I have on the Berg are 8 years old and have worked perfectly, bar one new left hand grip after an unscheduled dismount. (I really must stop falling off the damn thing). It also has Barkbusters fitted which deflect some wind. The SS doesn't and I don't want to fit any so the the extra heat of the Oxfords will be useful. :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Just been out to the garage to have a closer look at the Oxford control unit and I may have found a nice little orifice (on the Scrambler) to stick it in. Hiding the wiring will be quite easy.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

Yes, that has crossed my mind. I was out on the Scrambler today in some lightweight 2 season gloves and the ends of my fingers were feeling it after a hour or so and it was around 10 deg heading over the moors but damp and drizzly.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The Barkbusters on the Berg are more for impact protection but do also give protection from the wind. Not sure if they'd even fit the SS but I don't want them on anyway. I've just looked on Ebay though and there's loads of lightweight generic handguards that could be made to fit. Sprayed up in matt green (I still have some left from the mudguard) they might blend in nicely, another possibility. What isn't going to happen is the SS seeing out the Winter in the garage!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Now you’ve got me thinking I was a little nervous about getting these because of the controller looking out of place. Might be able to work something out.

• Like Like x 3
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I fitted Oxford grips to my Bonneville and Tiger 800. (Stupid not to have had them fitted in the first place).
    Great value as Sportsbikeshop were doing a good deal at the time. Mine were the ones with 5 settings (why you'd need more is beyond me) and I never had to go above 75%.
    Stuck the controller out of sight down on the side of the headstock on the Bonnie and on the back of the headlight cover on the Tiger.
    They're standard on my 900 Tiger and are definitely warmer than the old style Triumph ones my mate has on his Explorer. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  12. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #12 MadMrB, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    That's a rather neat way to conceal the control box DD I do like that, I have only had heated grips on my Buell for most winter riding I have a large pair of Mitts over the bars work okay for me

• Like Like x 3
  14. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I fitted Oxford to my Street Twin and they were excellent, flippin' hot, they failed after 18 months in as much as they auto shut off went berserk, but still got warm, at £50 good value. I have Triumph on my 2020 Scrambler 1200, neater but only three settings and way way less warm than Oxford, not tried them on a proper cold day but expect them to be barely noticeable. Oxford all the way

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Junksmith

Junksmith Active Member

I fitted Oxford heated grips on my 2018 Tiger and they are very good with a number of heat settings. Much better value than the Triumph ones and the mounting the controller on the bars can be blended a bit by making your own bracket.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Just to update the thread, I opted to try some heated gloves first as they were the simplest option and I can use them on the Z. They're an early birthday present and use a 7.4v lithium battery in each glove to give 4-4.5 hrs on the highest of 3 settings. Tried them in the house and they get very warm very quickly. Heading out on the SS shortly for the real test.:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. richard redfearn

richard redfearn New Member

Nov 21, 2020
    rhyl north wales
    i have heated triumph grips on my triumph bobber i use thinner short bobber gloves a they work very well i guesse if you have thicker gloves on maybe wll restric the heat through gloves.

• Like Like x 2
  19. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I guess motorcycle glove manufacturers should get savvy with a type of glove that has a thick outside layer with a thinner inside (palm side) one specifically for use with heated grips if you get my drift.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jinx568

Jinx568 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    I have the Triumph heated grips on my Bonneville. I like them, but they were standard with the bike when I bought it. I like that the digital display lets me know what setting they’re on when I activate them, and they’ve been great.

• Like Like x 1