Heated Grips........well That Should Be Straightforward

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by simeds, Aug 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    now i'm riding sensible commuter miles, i thought i'd treat myself to heated grips before winter sets in.
    Bike was at dealer today for first MOT ( 2017 T100 BONNEVILLE) so i thought i'd get them to stickl a set on..... how hard can it be ?

Well according to dealer " the wiring wasn't there " so they couldn't fit them !!!! '" maybe soimeones removed them" they said.
    Given that i bought bike new from said dealer 3 years ago I find this highly doubtful !
    Has anyone heard of incomplete wiring looms or have the dealer removed them previously ( they did work to the instrument cluster last year after someone knocked bike over whilst parked up ) or they just useless and need to read the sodding fitting instructions properly ????

anyone any ideas ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Assuming you're talking about the heated grips with part number A9638105, the instructions for that says it fits Bonneville T100 from VIN 759204, is yours earlier that that? (I suspect no and that VIN number is just the first water cooled bike)

The grips have cables that plug into sockets inside the left and right handlebar switch housings, there's no way the wiring for the would have been removed if they we're originally on the bike. (Assuming no one's butchered the wiring loom with some wire cutters.)

• Like Like x 2
  3. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    yup, those are the parts and my bike vin is after that vin- so either dealers ( a) blind (2) cant follow instructions or (c) damaged my loom when repairing the bike last year !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You could always get a set of Oxford grips and wire them to the battery. These days they switch off if the battery gets low, just in case you forget to switch them off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Yes another vote for the Oxfords from me. I appreciate the Triumphs (should) have the wiring for heated grips, but the Oxfords are very easy to wire up and the latest ones can be wired direct from the battery as they have auto switch off if you forget to turn them off yourself so you don't drain your battery.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I went for the simpler option of Oxford Hot Hands....dead easy to fit and work well plus for me they add an extra layer to the skinny handlebar grips which helps my elderly hands grip better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    right going to investigate the wiring myself this weekend, and also look into the oxford option too

• Like Like x 1
  8. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    ooh- what a surprise- they should have gone to spec savers! what a '' fowl' up by the dealers

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    right, decided to go for OEM as they look tidier , and will show up on the led display when i switch them on. Ordered them from ebay and got them from PhillipMcCallen triumph - as they were £10 cheaper! Will fit them myself- what could go wrong.........

• Like Like x 3
  10. Riggers

Riggers Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hull
    I bought a new T100 in spring (just after lock down was eased) and got A1 Moto at York to fit genuine Triumph grips which they did without a problem. They do look neat, and its a nice touch that they talk to the digital display in the clocks. BUT practically I don't think they work as well as a much cheaper pair of Oxfords I've got on my Yamaha TDM900. The Oxfords (to me) are easier to control with a glove on, plus they have 5 settings rather than the 2 on Triumph's originals. I personally find the 'Lo' setting on the Bonnie's grips a bit toooo hot, whereas settings 1 or 2 on the Oxfords are just right.
    Having said all that I'm sure you'll be fine with the ones you've just bought. Good luck with the fitting jobbie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    well, theyre on, and the bike still works, and so do the grips- only thing is, i didnt have a torque wrench that does settings under 10nm , so haven't been able to put all the settings to recommended- might invest in a 1-25nm torque wrench if i can find one at a decent price.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think (unless you really want one) that you can just use your judgement on the torque level?
    10 isn't much and you can check again in a few days for tightness again?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    @simeds,
    How have the heated grips worked out for you now that you've had a chance to put them to use?

I'm trying to decide which to put on my 2020 T100, the Oxfords or the OEMs. The issues I've seen discussed are:

Oxfords
    1. are less expensive
    2. get hotter
    3. have 5 heat settings versus two
    4. have more easily operated controls

The OEMs
    1. use existing wiring (at least on the 2016+ T100s)
    2. show on the LED display
    3. are not as bulky as Oxfords
    4. are tidier on the bike

Anything else anyone has to add would be welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steve T.

Steve T. Active Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Northern British Columbia
    My 2020 T120 Bud Ekins was "Special"!! No heated grips, the cream grips are standard. I've used Oxford Heated Grips on many bikes and never any problems other than actually wearing out the rubber grip itself. The Oxfords tend to come with over-generous cable lengths and need to be bunched up (or cut) - ok for bikes with fairings to hide them - but there's not much space on a Bonnie. For the T120 I paid the cash for the Triumph Grips (= 2-3 sets of Oxfords) and they fitted fine as the wiring harness was still there; just not hooked to any grips. The Triumphs are ok, work well, obviously much tidier than the Oxfords but IMO the Oxfords do perform better; as noted in the previous post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1