Heated grips on T100

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robbo49, Dec 23, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robbo49

Robbo49 New Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Market Bosworth
    I have been given Oxford Touring grips to fit on my 2015 Bonneville T100. I don't want to connect direct to battery in case I forget to turn them off and flatten the battery. Can anyone advise how I can wire into a switched circuit?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #2 thebiglad, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    You might be better doing a new install complete with a relay and fuse operated by a low-amp switched circuit so you dont drag too much juice through existing cabling.

Just remember that even with a switched circuit operation if you leave the heated grips on, then as soon as you turn the ignition on they will draw current and could compromise your engine starting?

3. DaveTheSuperVillain

DaveTheSuperVillain Active Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    If they are the 'premier' version (or whatever they call them) which are what I put on my SIII, they have a low battery mode and are supposed to cut out themselves.......Luckily I've not had to test this theory yet!

I find even at 50% they get pretty damned warm pretty darn quickly and that greatly helps in aiding the memory to turn them off. I've found it just kind of becomes part of the dismounting the bike routine.

4. Robbo49

Robbo49 New Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Market Bosworth
    Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I might just go with direct to the battery approach!

5. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    Go for the relay route much safer. As close to batt as you can. This way you are drawing less power, and when the ignition is switched off, so are your grips or other accessories you use in this way. I personally use 16guage wire. As thebiglad states your grips will be dead until you switch your ignition back on if you do not have a indication light on the control switch, you could fit a led to show you when they are on, to save your battery when trying to start in the cold weather.

87 plus fuse + batt
    86 - batt
    30 to your live on heated grips
    85 to a switched live ie: rear lights, brake lights.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent response Alphie.

7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    wow there are some clever people in here,lol

I know some people take a feed from the lighting or horn circuit,dont know if that is good or bad as I had mine fitted for me,didnt fancy messing about

8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    My Oxford grips were wired direct from the triumph dealer which I thought was odd. I think that it was because the bike runs on a CAN-bus electrical system and wired through the normal route it may not work and be rejected. On the plus side they turn themselves off when the engine is not running so no worries there.

9. DaveTheSuperVillain

DaveTheSuperVillain Active Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    Mine are straight to the battery (as per the instructions - too much effort to think about changing it) and work fine. The most difficult part was getting all of the excess wire length hidden away due to the battery being right at the front of the bike! At some point I may chop them down and tidy it up a little, but for now, it's winter(ish) and I just appreciate the fact they work! :0)