Heated Grips For 2016/2017 Speed Triple

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jet City, Nov 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Hey, y’all.

Do the Triumph heated grips with the nifty little switch on the left bar, mount on the pre-TFT Speed Triples?

BTW, I rode a new 2020 Speed Triple yesterday. What a motorbike! Effortlessly fast, solid, sophisticated. Makes a great sound, too.

And I did not hate the TFT dash as much as I thought I would :) It’s pretty cool.

The 2020 has cruise control, but no heated grips tho.

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Ridiculous that manufacturers don't fit them as standard. You pay enough for the bike ! :cool:
    Heated grips - far more useful than cruise control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Aftermarket heated grip like Daytona DT11 I mounted have this integrated switch. They work very well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Happy Pants

Happy Pants New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Solihull
    Hi Hubaxe
    Do they connect straight to the battery and I assume you can still fit the std bar end mirrors back on ?
    Cheers HP

5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Hi ,
    As the switch is integrated to the left grip , the wiring can be done straight to the battery. Moreover, the wiring comes with it's own fuse.
    They just replace the old grip, so no reason you couldn't put back the mirrors.
    Like all heated grip installation, you'll need to rework the plastic throttle tube to remove all asperities, so the grip could be slide in without too much force.
    I used loctite silicone to glue my grips, put specific glue also exists.
    Some brand include the glue in the box, Daytona don't.
    PChauff.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. Happy Pants

Happy Pants New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Solihull
    That’s great - thanks for the info and pics

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I just fitted the Daytona grips, with integral button, to my Street Triple.

I chose to fit them with a relay, so they can only be used when the ignition is turned on. I also decided to use different cable and fuse than those provided, because the fuse is the old glass tube type and I wanted a mini spade fuse as used elswhere on the bike. The cable supplied for the run from the grips to the battery are individual wires, and as on the Street Triple the cable has to go to the battery under the seat, so I wanted sleeved cable.

IMG_20201115_130316321.jpg

Inserted a small screw driver under the grips and a quick spray of GT85 made it easy to remove the old grips:

IMG_20201114_101225738.jpg
    IMG_20201114_101918384.jpg IMG_20201114_103041467.jpg

Then carefully cut off the flanges/protrusions on the throttle sleave, and a smooth down with sand paper:

IMG_20201114_115953246.jpg

Test fitted, just connecting direct to the battery to ensure the grips are actually working before fixing them:

IMG_20201114_122338222.jpg

I fitted the grips using a thin smear of high temp heat resistant gasket sealer, routed the sleaved cable, and connected up the relay. I used a feed from the rear number plate light for the relay switch.

All done, quite tidy I think:

IMG_20201115_183119246.jpg

And they work :)

IMG_20201115_183849081.jpg

This is the wiring diagram I used for the relay:

grips_relay.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good job mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Like @MadMrB I've put the heated grip on an after ignition relay, switched on by the side light.
    Sure it's a safer way, and avoid the grip to empty a battery.
    Direct wiring to the battery is ok, but don't forget to switch the grip off.
    Oxford brand has a built in safety feature that cuts below a certain voltage.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Happy Pants

Happy Pants New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Solihull
    Thanks for posting this MadMrB .... really useful...... do you write workshop manuals for a living ? If not you should ! :blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    You prob already sorted this out but yes, there is heated grips to buy from Triumph. Fitted it myself a few months ago and works great.