Heated clothing

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by topbanana0, Sep 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I'm looking for some heated clothing, I know what I would like but not sure if what I want is made.
    I would like an under vest/jacket, also under trousers and maybe socks and gloves. But would like them to all plug into each other, and run off the bikes power supply.
    Can you get this kind of thing, what heated clothing would you recommend?

2. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Oxford do some heated kit, I've got two of there heated vests, one plugs into the bike and the other runs of a lithium battery, both are very good. The battery one is useful when I want to wear it under my drysuit when winter wakeboarding or jet skiing.

3. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    My Mrs has a Keis heated jacket and swears by it.
    You can plug gloves directly into the jacket sleeves,don't know about trousers etc

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Yes, I know this thread is positively ancient, but rather than start a new one, I'm in the same position as the OP, that is I'm after some heated gear that won't break the bank. In the 4 years since this thread was started, there must have been quite a lot of development? I know Keis are still in the market and thats the stuff that I favour at the moment, anyone have experience of the Kies stuff or perhaps you have a better alternative?

5. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I have the Keis equipment. Very good and warm even when not turned on. My winter riding is base layer then

Keis heated jacket (with 3 setting controller) Also have the remote controller on the bars which is great
    Keis heated gloves (plug into the jacket sleeves)
    Keis heated trousers (only got these so haven't tried them yet) Have their own controller on a flap that is easy to reach.
    Heated insoles (plug into the heated trousers) cant be controlled from controller. One setting which is fine

On top is the normal winter goretex jacket and trousers.

I have all the above plugged into the sae cable i use to trickle charge my bike via a cable convertor direct to battery

Only downside is that it cant all be controlled from one controller

As you can see I am a roughy toughy biker :laughing:

In reality I like to ride all year round and this saves having to put multiple layers on and being unable to move. Its one of those "once you have tried it you will never be without it " type of scenario

I would say that where i ride the heated gear is too warm in the high setting but Im aware that it is designed for more cold climates "oop North"

https://keisapparel.com/pages/faq

screenshot-keisapparel-com-pages-faq-1603470757237.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I have had a Keis jacket for several years and can thoroughly recommend it.

I have the controller as well and have rarely had to turn it up above 'Low'.
    As previously mentioned there are leads in the sleeves to connect gloves if required.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I have the keis too and it's a definite thumbs up!
    HOWEVER, check the generator output of your bike before pulling the plug on every bit of clothing.
    I have the jacket and trousers and i'm totally warm in -4 (c) and no need for the gloves and insoles.
    Also, if your generator doesn’t kick out the amps for everything, the headlights throw a wobbly (fade up and down) and strange things happen.
    That was on my busa (although, that was with oxford grips on too) but that was with 12 amps all in.

8. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Average temperature has risen by 1.5 C or so over the last 100 years. Fecked if I am going to spend that much on kit when I can just wait for free.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I'm afraid I don't have Methuselah's genes mate. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1391/(10;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all)

11. Steve rackett

Steve rackett New Member

Jan 15, 2020
    London
    garbing xr heated gloves are the best with 3 x settings and they also do clothing
    The gloves can run off the bike or battery. And their are 3 batterys
    1 Ah
    2 Ah
    3 AH BATTERYS
    Not cheap but good quality

12. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Again Keis for me, i have the heated jacket. It is plenty warm as a mid layer without even being turned on.
    The disadvantage for me was.. i bought the liner gloves as they are significantly cheaper than the outer gloves. This was a mistake, as mentioned above the sizing is bad. They have a stiffness that can be uncomfortable if they get bunched when putting on your outer gloves. Also putting on outer gloves when you have stiff baggy liner gloves becomes a faff. You also need a size of outer gloves that is larger than you really need to accommodate them. There is also no inbuilt temperature controller to them (you can use external controllers but this adds even more wiring) nor a pocket to store a battery pack should you choose that route.
    This autumn i bit the bullet and bought a pair of the outer gloves. The weather has yet got to the stage where they are necessary but i would still recommend them over liner gloves despite the extra cost.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Agreed stinger
    I had forgotten how crap the inner gloves are. Too bulky to put under winter gloves.
    I believe they are anti chill ( not as warm as heated) and I found that I couldn’t tell if they were on or not.

14. willsmeed32

willsmeed32 New Member

Dec 26, 2021
    New York,NY,USA
    Heated clothing is designed to keep you warm and cozy, but not to get too hot. Wiring is separated by a waterproof membrane making them safe to use in damp conditions. Heated clothing (garment sample) is designed to be safe during regular use. It should not be submerged in water when on as this would damage the battery.

15. John Bentall

John Bentall Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Enfield, North London
    The Gerbing lifetime electrical guarantee swung it for me at the time, but others have been happy with Keis and Warm'nSafe. They all work well enough and there is not much to choose between them. You must try this stuff on as it should be a snug fir for maximum heat conductivity. Keis use a unusual size of connector so adapters are required for attach other brands.
    In the UK we have a 2 large motorcycle shows in Winter and I see plenty of folk buying there and then after a chilly ride to the venue!
    Although everything can be plugged into one controller, most times two are required as a lot of heat is lost through the gloves and extra is required.

• Like Like x 1