Headlamps

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Buzzlightyear, May 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    i'm riding a 2011 street triple r and it has the old style round lights. Test riding a new speed triple s this pm with the idea of trade in. I prefer the old style lights to the new unit, i actually think triumph mesed up when they changed them. My lights liok way better work adequately and have personality! How complicated and expensive will it be for triumph to change them to the round bug eyed jobs on my new speed triple does anyone know please?

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Not sure it would be feasible as the new headlight/clocks set up has a ram air intake incorporated into it...

3. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    I wondered. Yes the instrumrument panel might be a tricky one too. Thanks.
    I figure theres a whole industry called custom so it might be possible but cost as ever is a factor. Shame if so the old lights were iconic on the triples. Thank you

4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i was like you and when they did away with the round headlights i really didn't like the look of the new ones,but when i was in the market for a speed triple the more i looked at the headlights the better they looked..and i looked at a lot! and now if i'm honest i actually prefer the new lights and i think the 2016 model headlights looks even better

5. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    Thanks. I'm doing a test ride this pm and i'll take a closer look. Theres a lot thats better mirrors, finish, modes so i'll go with an open mind about the lights. I'm doing a bmw s1000r too but the triumph is a more to my liking.
    Cheers

6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Good luck with the test rides,i tested the s1000r too,it was pretty faultless apart from the useless mirrors, also i found it too bland, it had no character..unlike the Speedie :)

7. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    i know it's a personal preference but I've never really like the lights but the 2016 looks pretty sweet to me :)

8. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    The triumph guy offered me a derisory price for my 2011 street triple r. bad all round customer experience actually. I'm probably going to defect to bmw. Thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    That's a shame mate,you would be better off selling your bike privately. and if it was me i would try another Triumph dealer for another test ride,I've never visited a Triumph dealer down south but up in Scotland they are pretty good as far as bike dealers go

10. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    Thankyou. Properly Appreciated.
    Being real honest the speed was my number one. So i'm not definitely going to rule it out. They offered me 800-1000. Bmw are starting at 4250 but it has scuffs so it might go to 3k. I assume the triumph guy thought i'd stolen it!!! Cheers

11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Had a mate who's just gone for a BMW S1000R but fancied a Speed Triple.
    The problem is from a sales perspective, the Triumphs are new models and selling out, so no need to offer deals.
    BMW are desperate to move their S1000R's so offering a better deal.
    I actually got a good deal on my Tiger Sport but only because I've been using the same dealer for a while....

p.s. BMW accessories make Triumph's mildly exorbitant prices look cheap :confused:

12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well if they offer you 2 grand more then it's a no brainer, unless you're paying 4 grand more for the bike of course!

13. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    Yep. I figure the triumph guy's brief was - just don't try because you don't have to. I was pretty amazed. However the speed triple is a proper hooligan bike, i loved it no question. If i end up going elsewhere its just economics. The bmw dealership gave my mate 2.7k today for his 2005 Triumph sprint (part ex for an s1000r) so tcbandituk you are spot on.

14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Best thing to do is to get a test ride on both for an hour or so, to try them out properly.
    I tried three different Triumphs before I end up back with the updated TS, which I'd originally discounted because I didn't think it would be that different to my 2015 model.

Also, when you're spending that much on a new bike, the difference in cost is relatively small.
    Would you rather save a bit and get your second choice bike or spend a bit more and get exactly what you want ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Always spend a little more and be 100% happy

16. Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear New Member

May 28, 2016
    Surrey uk
    i agree. one bad dealer experience doesnt make triumphs bad bikes. They're excellent. Off to a bmw dealership and a triumph one today. If they both say my bike is worth £1000 then its a fair cop on my part.