Touring Heading back to the Alps

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Richard H, Feb 22, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Looking forward to heading back to the Alps again this June, our base will be Bourge St Maurice and hope to ride many of the high Alpine passes so long as they are clear of snow. I filmed this in 2012 think it was close to the longest day in June, perfect weather....about 32 C in the valleys and about 5 C high in the mountains.

Anyone who has not ridden a motorcycle in the Alps should add it to their 'Bucket' list.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Looks awesome... definitely on my list.... how long do you go away for, where to stay and how much etc?
    p.s. You need to brush up on your snowball throwing skills! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Yes rubbish right arm!
    Four of us are going, we use the Eurotunnel then head straight across France, we are going to stop one night mid way across in France's answer to a Premier Inn (cheep but pleasant) then ride on to Bourg St Maurice where we have two mobile home type challis booked for 7 nights here : Camping Caravaneige - Le versoyen à Bourg St Maurice en Savoie They are reasonably cheap around £400.00 for the week for two self catering. Its also a campsite so the trip can be done quite cheaply.

Having a base means you can unpack the bikes and enjoy the roads, virtually every road out of Bourg (a winter ski resort) is a fantastic ride.
    DSC_3055.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg

One day last time we took a ride to Tignes and took a train through the mountain, caught the cable car up the Grand Mont and watched folks skiing the glacier in the middle of summer; quite surreal:smile:
    IMAG0133.jpg

One day we do a circular route around Mont Blanc, Switzerland, Italy and back into France, its a long day but well worth it. I don't recommend riding through the Mont Blanc tunnel!

This was our base for the week, my Ducati had already lost its back brake on the ride over France :mad: Never, ever buying a Ducati again (but that is another story)
    IMAG0035.jpg

We stop again on the ride back across France then Tunnel and home

IMAG0165.jpg

Guess the budget is about £800.00 but fuel is a big chunk.

If you want a company that will take you out there on this trip a pal of mine Bill Roughton Bike Tours UK :: Motorcycle touring in UK, England and Thailand takes guests out here each year, I went with him in 2012 but we are going out ourselves this time

Richard

DSC_3055.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Looks brill... I'm hoping to go to Northwest Spain either later this year, or next year with the Bonnie... my brother stays near Gijon, an ex biker, so he's told me to come over when I'm ready, just want to get more experience first :smile:

5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    That looks great.
    Possibly do the Alps next year as we're off to France in June.
    We normally move on each day but might look into having a base for a week.
    At least you'll be a bit more comfortable on the Tiger this year :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris81

Chris81 New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Walton On Thames, Surrey
    Wow, looks amazing

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Austrian alps for me this year!! Bought a cheap Beemer last year to do it but still not got round to it. This year is a "Must do" one

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Bikes packed, will let you know how the Triumphs and us cope with the 2500 miles.

9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Facebook-20140623-055959.jpg
    Made it out to the Alps, this photo taken near Les Arks. Looking forward to exploring the rest of this week

Facebook-20140623-055959.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Looks fantastic, Hope the weather is behaving it's self over there :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    A man after my own heart, great photos, have a good 'un :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    P1090989.jpg

1400 miles added this week, both the Tiger and Street have not missed a beat. Got the 900 mile ride back across France to start in the morning :frown:

P1090989.jpg

13. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    P1090985.jpg

2300 miles in 9 days and a fantastic time had. Totally recommend visiting the Alps, the French roads were so empty compared to England. Bourg st Maurice is a great base for exploring as there is not a bad riding road in any direction. The Mrs proved you can tour on anything and coped with the 80+ mph motorways with the Street while the Tiger proved the ideal do it all coping fine on the twisty mountain roads even with its big front wheel.

No mechanical issues with either bike although I tensioned the Tiger's chain once.

P1090985.jpg

14. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Nice vid Richard. I hope to be somewhere near there in 14 days and your influence just helps build up the inner buzz. Eric

• Like Like x 1
  16. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I'm heading for the Swiss Alps next July. I'm going to use Brig as a base. It's idealy placed for the Southern Alps and especially for the Simplon Pass. Planning of routes is taking place at the moment.

17. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Nice, its great to plan a road trip during these cold winter months. Think 2015 is going to be a big Scotland tour and race week at the TT for us.

• Like Like x 2
  18. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Absolutely Richard. Planning routes and itinary is half the fun. Some of my maps are out of date so I must get some replacements.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Just picked up three road maps of Switzerland. They seem to cover all the major approaches to Switzerland besides the Swiss roads. Also picked up a book entitled "Switzerland by Road, Rail and Air". Seems to contain some valuable information.

I also received an excellent booklet entitled "The ride guide to Europe" which has just been published. So plenty of reading to be done over these winter nights.