Hazard Lights On Triumph America???

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by BarryPotter, Nov 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BarryPotter

BarryPotter New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    Tonbridge
    Ok so I've recently bought a 2017 America and noticed the idiot light in the cluster on the fuel tank wasn't working. Upon inspection it turned out the bulb was missing so i swapped it for another in the cluster just to check it wasn't a wiring fault and noticed that when I flicked the indicator switch either left or right all four indicators would flash!
    The bike has been fitted with LED indicators at some point and this is obviously playing a part but...........?
    With the small idiot bulb removed the indicators work and flash perfectly.
    Has anyone else had this happen?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The LED indicators require an inline resistor, you will need to look at the make of your LEDs and find a resistor that is compatible, otherwise the problem will persist.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BarryPotter

BarryPotter New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    Tonbridge
    Can you expand on this?
    I'm aware of the need to fit resistors when installing LED's as without them they fail to work and/or flash correctly but these indicators are working absolutely fine. While upon inspection i cannot see any resistor inline theres no saying they are not built in to simplify fitting I guess.
    So what is the relationship between the idiot bulb and the indicators that is causing this issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #4 Iceman, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    There are a few clues in what you describe, first of, are the LED indicators genuine Triumph or aftermarket, if genuine Triumph then there will be no issue as the EMS recognises them and they function correctly, aftermarket ones are a different ball game and differ make to make, including how they are wired up. You mention the bulb had been taken out from one of the warning lights, this I would suggest was done by the previous owner, who had fitted the LED indicators and then found a problem, and rather than rectify it he choose to remove the bulb, that being so it says the previous owner had limited electrical diagnostic or wiring skills. You would be surprised at how many people do this, BMW owners are renowned for removing the ABS warning light bulb when the system fails rather than sorting out the problem. Anyway back to your issue, did you get the original indicators with the bike when you bought it, if so I would suggest you disconnect the wires on each indicator and pop the wires on the original ones and put the bulb back in the warning light, if all works well you then know it is one of the LEDs at fault. I am unsure if you are confident with using a multi meter, if it was me however, I would as a process of elimination start with the simplest of checks, look at the wiring instructions for the make of your LED indicators (these should be available online once you establish the manufacturer), make sure they are wired correctly, and check the wiring colour of the warning light, and the location (from bulb to source). This is were you need a multi meter to check each of the wires to the indicators. Without looking at the wiring it is difficult to assess, it may be as simple as the person whom wired up the LED indicators has just cut the original indicator fittings off and "bodged up" with those awful plastic crimped alternatives and in the process wired it wrongly causing the warning light to come on. The big clue is that you say all 4 indicators come on when the warning bulb is replaced, this informs the LED's are incorrectly wired, as I mentioned obtain the wiring diagram and check it out, if you lived nearer I would look at it for you, I am not suggesting I could fix it, however I do know my way around a multi meter and a wiring harness. But please start with the easiest option first and work from there. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Or take it to your local bike shop ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Barrie Potter
    Welcome to the family. Know nothing about LED'S but hope you get it sorted. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show the steed of to the inmates here in the asylum.
    Joe.

7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Replace the cluster bulb with a replacement led, sorted :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Lectrics are a dark art to me, occultish even. Last time I tried fixing lectrics I started by sacrificing a squirrel. Is it that simple ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Andy, there is no dark art to car or motorcycle electrics, as long as you can work a multi meter, usage of a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM). The DVOM can be used to safely measure electrical circuits and find what is correct and what is wrong. as long as you have the basic knowledge of OHMS law, a wiring diagram if it is a modern machine, classics are a doddle especially ones with a mag and dyno. The days of the "Prince Of Darkness (Lucas Electrical products) are thankfully long gone. To be honest most issues arise out of neglect, connections get corroded, earths are the same, some people add electrical accessories with little thought of how much current or amperage hey draw, this can and does overheat wiring and components, bar risers are a favourite mod with some riders, however little thought goes into how the wiring is stretched beyond what was designed, it can partially pull out connectors, units still function for a while, gradually resistance occurs and the unit fails, IE indicators, lights, horn etc, not to mention greater stretch when the steering is on lock to lock. Periodically if you look at the more exposed electrical connectors and apply electrical grease it will keep water at bay, preventing potential issues, you can use ACF50. Personally I think Barry's issue is very easily sorted, if he had lived nearer I would have had a look for him, often local colleges run electrical short courses for vehicles, they are fairly inexpensive and you get a good understanding of how modern electrical systems work. I am intrigued about your squirrel, hope it was one of those pesky greys. Ride safe all

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Talking of pesky grey squirrels, only this morning I watched a pesky grey one sat on the fence munching on one of my red apples. Then it ran off with it. I hope it choked but somehow I doubt it. It was surplus. The apple I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Windy

Windy First Class Member

Aug 16, 2019
    Shropshire
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BarryPotter

BarryPotter New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    Tonbridge
    Firstly I’d like to thank everyone who’s tried to help. I’ve had the chance to delve a little deeper and this is what I’ve found. After I posted i remembered fitting some LEDs to a BUELL I restored and remembered having to change the flasher relay. The low resistance of LED bulbs means a regular relay won’t work (unless one adds resistors inline which I’m not a fan of). As I can’t see any inline on the Triumph i’m guessing this is what had been done here also.
    The problem with the idiot light is that the feed reverses polarity depending on which direction the indicator is switched. On a conventional bulb this poses no issue but it seems the LED relay does not like having a conventional bulb in its circuit. I cannot fit an LED in place of the conventional bulb either as they are directional in terms of polarity and so it would only flash in one direction (but would work 50% of the time! Lol). I’ve tried to search out non-polar LED’s but every listing I found on eBay when one read the item description contradicted itself and mentioned swapping the bulb around if it didn’t work, and so is obviously sensitive to polarity!
    So if anyone knows of a supply of T5 non polar LED bulbs please let me know, otherwise I’ll just have to wear it or go back to standard indicators (not an option).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BarryPotter

BarryPotter New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    Tonbridge

Sorry my mistake. I did actually look at windys post and the accompanying link but didn't look closely enough. From the photo I assumed they were for installation at each indicator and didn't notice the two feeds being joined into one. Yes I can see from the diagram in your link that this will work and I'll hopefully be able to pick up a suitable ground from one of the other lights under the console. I've got plenty of diodes in the garage so all good.
    I did actually manage to source a set of 4 non-polar LED's for the grand sum of $5 which I'll try first as this would prove the better option as the standard lights are hard to see in daylight. If these LED's work I'll post and let others know.
    Thanks again.

• Agree Agree x 1