Featured Rideout Hawes And Devils Bridge

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by cinnabull, May 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cinnabull

cinnabull Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Here and There
    On 17 May I along with quite a few others met up at Rivvy Barn. The barn itself was closed, so we actually met on the turn in for the barn. There were a few Ducatis incl Diavels, Multistradas and a Scrambler, a Z900 and a couple of Gixers, a 1000 and a 750.

We set of to Hawes. Now, I personally dont particularly like small A and B roads which are bumpy, narrow, regular gravel and horse shit all over em etc. I much prefer the 'bigger' A roads with smooth tarmac if you know what I mean, and the guy leading took us on the little roads. The scenery was lovely obviously, we went through some really nice small villages and stopped to fill up god know where. Wasnt taking much notice of where we was tbh, just happy enough to be out and keeping up. Anyway, the next bit of road was way more to my liking, a quite fast A road over the top of moors and wide open. You could see quite a way in front of you. There were 2 speed vans out on this road whatever it was, and eventually we arrived at a coffee and burger van where there was already a lot of other bikers. First time for me up there, but I've put a pic of the Street with Ribbleshead Viaduct in the background, I'm sure some more travelled riders will know the exact spot.

From there we went to Hawes. Now many years ago I'm sure I did Hawes to Devils Bridge via Ingleton on my RS250 Prilla. Now that was a heavenly road, and I presumed thats the way we would be going. No such luck, we left Hawes and went down more of what I can only describe as narrow shitty roads. Through Sedbergh and then onto Devils Bridge. There was, as expected many bikers there, and more came and went whilst we were stopped there. All in it was a good ride after lockdown was eased, but next time I will deffo do more of the roads I actually fancy. I cant wait for Wales to open truth be known, as I love the run to Barmouth via Mold, Ruthin and Bala. Anyways it was just great to be back out again with a good crew of top lads, even if the roads weren't to my liking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuart

• Like Like x 19
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I've been around those roads a few times @cinnabull and I really like them. I also like the sweeping wide A roads too. I suppose I like a mix. Some of the scenery up there is stunning and I think when it's sunny it's hard to beat.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Lovely part of the country.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Stunning, all those little fields and barns I didnt like the constant dry stone walls 2 feet from the side of the road. Seanic and dangerous, a twofor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    You have to mix it up a bit in the Yorkshire dales you can’t expect just fast roads,my favourite quick roads are hawes down to settle B6255-B6479 and just as twisty but not as quick Rippon to Leyburn A6108,I’ve some sympathy for your mate leading the ride as it’s difficult to please all the people all the time,I once took 21 to Scotland and the vast majority loved it but some, generally the ones that didn’t have a clue were they were are the ones that moaned the most,I am in the dales on Friday with 3 mates who don’t know there way about but I warn them it’ll the riding will be mixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cinnabull

Apr 4, 2020
    Here and There
    I agree with all of the above comments above. I dont just only like the big sweeping roads, but I felt on this trip we took too many of the really small, not so well surfaced bumpy stuff. I get having a mixture, but we only did about 10-15 miles of what I would call fast A road stuff, the rest was, for me anyway, not really enjoyable. And I clocked up 200 miles that day. I honestly cant tell you the roads or route, but I know from being up there many years back there are some stunning roads with nice scenery. I do have some sympathy for the leader though, as I know everyone has different tastes, maybe I'm just getting old now !! I will be back up there again, but I will research the roads myself a bit better and hopefully enjoy it even more.

Stuart

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    9C255E2A-BB8C-44A9-9D11-F085A8901764.jpeg
    The last time my OH and I were taken out on similar shitty little roads with grass growing down the middle, we both ended up with punctures. Give me lovely curvy twisty flowing roads any day!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    that’s a shame Stuart only 15 mile on really nice roads , I don’t know what side of the dales you live but if you get the chance go north of the dales to Middleton in teesdale and from there go to Alston what a road,we used to come up dales over to Middleton in teesdale to Alston back to dales down to hawes to settle then over tops towards home it’s well 200 mile but some great roads,there’s a cafe near Alston called heartside with some great views if it’s re opened as it burnt down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. cinnabull

Apr 4, 2020
    Here and There
    I know Shaun, it is what it is though. TBH I was just glad for a ride after the lockdown. I just thought we could have been on the 'bigger' roads a bit more rather than stuff that was just a tad wider than single track. I'm actually in Cheshire, so the other side of the dales for me would be some run. Doable no doubt, but I'd plan it first.

Stuart

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Great photos and write up, @cinnabull. Thanks! It does sound like a route more suited to a different type of bike than your beautiful triple. Perhaps an adventure bike? That said, I'll bet it was just great to get out at all and be riding!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    We had a ride that way ourselves on Monday. We stopped in Hawes for a pie and a drink, there were a handful of bikes there but because a Police bike was parked up with the officer advising on Social Distancing it put a few off and quite a few just rode through the village without stopping.

I don't know if you noticed the guy taking pictures on the B6255. He has a FB page where he uploads the images. If you rode from Hawes to Ingleton he may have caught you.

Do a search on FaceBook for ShutterSpeed Motorcycle Photography.

This is me and my Heffalump looking dynamic on the double bend. Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  12. cinnabull

Apr 4, 2020
    Here and There
    Looking good there Eric. That I'm sure is the road, or one of them, I actually wanted to go on. Pretty certain I did it many years back. Its certainly looks way better than the majority of stuff we were on. However, at least I got out, and I'll know for next time I'm up there.

Stuart

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    #13 Eric_H, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Thanks Stuart,

looking at your pictures you were on the same road but going in the opposite direction. Although it's classed as a B Road it's a fantastic riders road.

We usually go past Grassington on the 6265 then kettlewell on the B6160 to Buckden, at Buckden we turn of at Dubb's Lane then on to Stubbing Lane - this is about 15 miles of stunning almost single track road that goes over the moors and drops down into Hawes. Loads of places to stop and get food and drink.

I've just had a look and ShutterSpeed was taking shots in both directions so you never know depending when you was on the B6255 he may have caught you.. I've added the link to ShutterSpeed's FB page. (No I'm not on commission) :)

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=shutterspeed motorcycle photography

• Like Like x 3
  14. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    #14 Paul Mac, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    I know these roads very well , been my local-ish hunting grounds for over 40 years . Years ago when I was running mainly sports bikes it was the main fast A roads , but riding a more sedate pace you realise there are some great little B roads that are just as involving , but at a much lower pace . Hawes to Leybourne ,for example , has the main A road link (A684) , a quick road but patrolled by the Police at the weekends. Now instead of the A684 you can turn left just heading out of Hawes mainstreet on to a lovely B road that runs parallel . Not very fast , hardly any cars , no camera vans , but just as enjoyable on the right bike .
    FWIW if you want to talk nadgery roads I just did Wrynose and Hardknott passes over the lakes , now they ARE naughty roads :eek::eek: , get it wrong on a couple of those tight hairpins and it's gonna hurt . An experience for sure , really happy it wasn't busy .
    Hardknott Pass 18m 33secs
    It is difficult to please everyone on every road but I always think even if it wasn't to your liking , you've experienced it and it makes a change :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    If you want fast, sweeping A roads, don't follow this bloke! @crispey "I'm sure there's a right turn here somewhere!" :joy: 20190717_142746.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Oh my what a shitty day for them. Just goes to show how difficult some of the roads out there can be. The wet weather would have made it a lot more of a challenge. At least nobody was hurt; well perhaps only their pride...

17. cinnabull

Apr 4, 2020
    Here and There
    I have been over the Hardknott a few times, but in a car though !! I've see the vid before of the accident, and have actually witnessed dropped bikes there myself. It is indeed a challenging route. The thing is though, if you know thats where you are going then you accept the road. When we went out a couple of weeks back I thought we'd be on bigger roads mainly with a bit of the narrower rough stuff, it turned out to be the reverse.

Funnily enough, one of my sons has bought a 595 Abarth and we went up there in that yesterday. Did the M6 up to the A683 junction then into Devils Bridge which was heaving again, even at 4.00 ish. Down to Ingleton then across to Hawes on the B6255. Now thats the road i remembered from years back. It was nice in the little Abarth as well. Went back on the 6255 part way then down the B6479 into Settle. Again a nice road, deffo better on a bike than a car though. Headed towards the A59 then back down the M6. Plenty of bikes out, but also lots of 30-40 mph sunday drivers which isnt an issue on two wheels, but is a bit frustrating in a car. Nice day out with my lad though. Here it is in virtually the same spot as my bike a couple of weeks back.

[​IMG]

Stuart

• Like Like x 3
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Oh FFS! @steve lovatt I was getting us back on the road after @Tiglet s POS satnav took us the scenic route
    20190718_113516-1024x576.jpg
    then I had to find you old blokes, @Wessa incl, a place to go hunt the willy,
    25A62EB3-35CB-4510-A0BD-6DE8D34116A0.jpeg

we were there a long long time

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire

As I remember,,,, you @crispey led us the whole way,,,,,,,a 2 hour scenic bike ride that turned into a 7 hour marathon :eek:
    Which way now lads was a regular cry from the leader, perhaps he should have bought a decent Satnav instead of that POS Tommy Tom Tom :p
    As @steve lovatt said later that evening we passed the same cyclist 4 times,,,,but in your defence my bestist mate I thought it was only three times and told him so but no he was adamant it was 4 times :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    And I just followed behind you all