Having An Electrical Nightmare Please Help.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Craig biker tiger, Mar 28, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craig biker tiger

Craig biker tiger New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Ok sorry in advance as its a faily long post but I will try to be as discriptive as possible. All help is welcome as I'm a bit stumped.

My 2010 1050 tiger non took me across town last week without issues to the pub for skittles (I wasn't drinking and fancied a blast aftwards)
    One of the lads went to have a look at it and when he returned he told me the lights on the dash were on I went to look and sure enough the back lights were on.
    I put the key in and turned on the ignition and the clocks came to life fully. I turned off the key and the back lights stayed on.
    I tried to start the bike and got nothing not even the fuel pump made sound.

For some reason as the lights wouldn't switch off I tried the engine stop switch and the (back lights) turned off when I turned off the ignition.
    I had a little think and a fag as I had no idea whats caused it and thought to myself it might be iv sat on the alarm button so armed and disarmed the bike. Turned on the stop switch and all back lights were now off.
    At this point I got all excited put the keys in and turned on the ignition. The fuel pump buzzed for about half a second and then stopped. I tried the starter and nothing no clicks or anything.
    I went through the normal check the stand is up and check it's in neutral and that's when I noticed the neutral light is on even when it's in gear but again still no start. Got a mate with a van and scaff plank and got it home put it on charge just incase and not had time to look at it until this evening.

So I have looked on line and not found anything that sounds similar so far so here I am, I'll list the things iv done and checked below to hopefully remove some of the obvious.

New coil stator and r/r about 8 weeks ago and was charging at 14.1v.

Removed triple tree and tested the ignition switch and cable for continuity and tested for insulation /resistances across the cables.
    Removed and checked the starter button and kill switch.
    Have a fully charged battery.
    Have the pudding uprated battery leads.
    Found the alarm bypass plug and have now installed.
    Checked for any broken cables and can't find anything obvious.
    Disconnected and extras like spots and phone charger just incase.

Neutral light is still on in every gear.
    Engine management light is on when ignition is on but can't remember if it was there before starting.
    Fuel pump now buzzes for about 8/10 seconds which seems the same as it used to before this issue appeared.

Again in so sorry for the long post for my first time and I would really appreciate any feed back or ideas of where to start searching for answers.
    Thanks in advance

2. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    First thing I would do is remove and check the ignition switch.

3. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    I have .
    It was the most popular topic in my searches so I started there

4. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    But have you visually checked the wiring and switch and not just continuity? They are known for wearing through the wires near the switch. You will need to check the wiring and connectors looking for corrosion and splits. Also, make sure all the earths are good.

5. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Yes 100% checked tested wiggled and jiggled while testing and even checked the resistance of the cables to the plug.
    Does anyone have a drawing of all of the earth's locations? As I will go through all of them

6. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Have you checked the wiring loom where it passes the right hand side of the headstock as this is a known issue where cables rub and wear through?

7. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    I did last night. I removed the clamp and pulled all of the cables out and inspected all of them.
    I then turned on the ignition and get them all a good wiggle to see if it might make a difference.
    I'm very lost at this point

8. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Have you got any software to check for fault codes?

9. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Have you checked your fuses?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Have you got a Datatool alarm fitted, if so there was a faulty batch that gave similar symptoms as you describe, you can check on the website with the serial number to see. Datatool arrange for a Triumph dealer to pick the machine up (sometimes Datatool send out a technician to the house), the alarm is removed and a new unit installed at no charge to the customer.

11. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    I do have an alarm fitted but it came with the bypass plug and as its stored in my garage iv fitted the plug so it shouldn't be that.

12. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Yes I did that straight away thinking it may have been something simple

13. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    I have the cable but no idea what software I can use. I will look that up later.

14. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    TuneECU or DealerTool

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Wasn’t there something a while back on another thread that a knackered headlight bulb can cause all sorts of weird stuff happening? None of which made sense but caused them a lot of pain and turned out to be that?
    You mentioned only the backlight is on and it won’t start.?
    Their bike wouldn’t start either and sounds close to what you are getting.
    Their bike had some bizarre things going on too that was actually the headlight lamp being duff.
    Please give that a little look?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Thanks that's the sort of thing I'm expecting as it failed all of a sudden.

17. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    @Craig biker tiger we'd love to know if you solved the problem and what it was, always useful info for future members/issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    I most definitely will when I get there. Life as it does has got in the way for the last couple of weeks.

I promise I will be back with an update soon

• Like Like x 3
  19. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Can you tell me where I can find dealer tool please?

20. Craig biker tiger

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Ok so finally found an hour to get plugged in and it's thrown back lots of communication errors. Any idea where these all plug in? Is there 1 plug or part of the loom that handles all of the above?
    Thanks guys

Screenshot_20220423-120614_TuneECU.jpg