Hastings Insurance & Mid

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Oldfart, Nov 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    I've just received a letter from the Motor Insurance Database (MID) to inform me that my vehicle does not appear on their database and that I need to take action to avoid a penalty.

Hastings Insurance have had since the end of July this year to submit the information and have apparently failed to do so. (I have paid in full and have received nothing from them other than the insurance docs).

I've emailed them with details and evidence of non-submission to the database, I await their response.

Anyone else had a similar situation?

Oldfart

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Had the same with another insurer. Kept ringing up and chasing it. Took about 4 weeks in the end to get it online.
    Just carry a copy of your insurance details and produce if you get a tug.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Oldfart the insurer has to update the database within 7 days as I recall. You need to make a complaint to Hastings and/or the Ombudsman to ensure they do it but also make sure you have proof of insurance in case you get stopped. The problem with them not updating is that if you do get stopped the police will contact the MIB who will check the database. If it is not on there you then face a long wait at the roadside while it is checked with the insurer. No problem you may think but some operate 9am-5pm hours so you are at risk of having your bike seized as the onus is on you to provide evidence of insurance and not the police. I would ring Hastings and raise hell with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Cheers for that Fourbears.

I will carry a copy of my insurance doc with me in case I get stopped, good idea, (I've also got a PDF of it on my phone).

The letter from the MIB states that I will be breaking the law if I don't fulfil certain requirements. In that case so it should be for the insurance company if they don't comply in a reasonable (24hrs) period of time!

I'll give them until Wednesday next, the timescale their automated letter stated, then inform them I'm proceeding with the matter via the Ombudsman and shall be charging them for my time and inconvenience in doing so.

Goodness I hate insurance companies, they are so incompetent and unscrupulous.

Oldfart

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Hastings have now got back to me with an apology of sorts, with the proviso it'll take 3-5 working days for the MID to be updated.

Even so I'll take note of the good advice on here and take copies of my insurance policy with me, and a print out of their apology, for a couple of months more.

Thanks to all on here who gave freely of advice.

Oldfart

• Like Like x 3