Hardknott Pass, 2 Up, Am I Biting Off More Than I Can Chew?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by brown mouse, Aug 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #1 brown mouse, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Tomorrow, me and Mrs Mouse are heading to Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District. In trying to find a route with great views I stumbled across Hardknott pass, and thought, hang on, I've heard of that, isn't that famous for being rather steep? So, at maximum gradient of 30% is it something that riding 2 up on the latest Speedmaster I am mad for thinking to do? I know a lot of this is subjective. I did Bealach ne Bar last year solo without issue, but that seems less steep as maximum gradient of 20%.

Edit: And is there a direction in which it's easier? Thinking steepest gradient better coming down if I have lots of weight on the rear. Front wheel could get very light going up if we can't get weight forward.

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Can't see any problems with you riding and your missus pushing

• Funny Funny x 14
  3. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    No experience of it Brown Mouse but sounds great........hope you get to complete the ride through the pass. Don't think there will be a problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yeah, down! :p

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    It's a great ride and yes it's steep

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I did Sutton Bank 25% two up and pulling a trailer a few times with NUDGER :cool: no problem mate :)
    It’ll do it :)

• Like Like x 7
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You can find videos on YouTube but the only awkward bits are tight uphill hairpins. You just want to avoid oncoming traffic in them.

• Useful Useful x 3
  8. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    TBH it's just one of those things to tick off the list. It's not an enjoyable ride, in my opinion, being too tight and too bumpy to get any sort of rhythm.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

its a horrible shitty road :poop:
    I did it years ago on a CBR1000F:)
    I just wouldn’t want to do it again :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Hmm. Well I'm doing it for the scenery not the ride as such or as a chalenge. And had alteady decided that if it looks like the roads are wet I'll abort. May just start along that road, take a look at the aceneey and turn around when the road ahead looks tough.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Done it several times, 2 up on my R80RT towing a trailer.

It's not a problem as long as you look where you're going and keep a positive steady throttle on the tight uphill hairpins.if you go West to East.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Done it a few times, absolutely doable two up, just take it easy. there's a nice Roman fort to look at half way.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Yeah it’s doable two up, either direction, have fun... but it’s pretty rough in places and falling off is seemingly common. As has been mentioned before, getting the traffic timed right helps, if cars or other knobheads get in your way, it affects your line choice and preferred speed. Watch the inside of the hairpins, they are steeper than the outside line.
    If you are not confident at slow speeds two up... be cautious

Point of interest, my grandad was one of the team that tarmac’d it... It feels like it’s only ever been patched up since then! The Roman fort is interesting and some great views of the high fells

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Built by the 2nd Dalmatian Cohort...... I read the inscription on returning from operations in Yugoslavia in 1993. The irony was something else!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Have you tried the Nothard Pass? Nowhere near as difficult. You need to book a restaurant, unbutton the top button of your best shirt and then, with a rose clasped between your teeth, in an erotically intense way, ask Patsy Kensit whether she knows of the Kawasaki Ninja range. Works every time.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would say it was easier from the Eskdale side travelling back East. Plenty of scope to regulate downhill speed on tight bends with rear brake as much as engine braking. It’s also easier to look down on approaching traffic and pick your passing spots.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Tripping on little blue pills are we?!

• Funny Funny x 7
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

• Like Like x 4
  19. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Do we need to send out a search party yet?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Hello? Brown Mouse? Anybody there?.....................