Hard Bags/brackets

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Steve O'Connor, Mar 19, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have looked at ways to incorporate some version of a Givi bag for my soon to be purchased speedmaster and it seems that they do not make a bracket for the MT501 Metro - T bags that will work for this bike. What have you folks come up with for touring bags? The factory bags seem small & not secure. Thanks

2. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I did get a response from Givi - USA but no answers as of yet. Will let you all know how this turns out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #3 Fork Lock, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    I got a set of relatively inexpensive, Saddleman, throw-over bags. I'm not cheap, I just wanted something water resistant. They are not leather. They are Saddleman's proprietary material, but they do look like leather. I have had bad experiences with leather bags and rain, even those that are advertised as "water resistant."
    Anyhow, I took the pillion and the chrome bits off and just laid the yoke over the rear fender with a foam computer mouse pad under the yoke to protect the paint. I did not use the shoelaces they provided to keep the two halves of the bag yoke together. Instead, after measuring where I wanted the bags to hang, I marked them and I took them to a local leather guy and had him sew them together. I zip tied the bottom front of the bags to the frame (there's a little, nylon loop on the bottom front of the bags). The reflectors over the brake set-up on the left and over the chain guard on the right keep the rear of the bags away from the frame. No brackets. I should note that I had to Dremmel out the hole on the front pillion tab and bend it down a bit for it to mate up with the hole in the fender for the bolt that secures the pillion.

I think they look pretty good and there's a lot of storage.
    Bags 1.jpg Bags 2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steve O'Connor

Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I will keep that in mind. I am still waiting to see what Givi tells me but I suspect I won't like what they have to say. One would think as popular as this model bike is along with the Bobber Givi would want to make brackets for it.