Hairy Bikers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Clarkey231, Mar 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Been watching the duo on their Route 66 programme, enjoying it on the whole.

I will state I do occasionally pop out in bog standard clothes even shorts at times. What’s peoples thoughts on these guys protection whilst riding, seems to be virtually zero. I’m a bit live n let live on this topic but just interested to see if anyone else has noticed?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I was more interested in the food to notice what they were wearing :yum but I dont have a problem with anyone not having full protection on or none at all, looking forward to the last 2 episodes as they will be on the best parts as far as biking goes .will bring back memories for me as I did part of route 66 over on the west

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    The scran looks awesome to be fair and cruising along nice and warm on those Harleys not bad to!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Just caught the end of last nights. Made me very hungry!! I suppose its great when you have researchers to show you some great places. I would like to do it but sure i have heard better roads are available as a lot of 66 is pretty boring (although far better than being at home lol). I dont care what people wear. Its up to them although there is so much casual looking wear around now with protection included. I used to wear just jeans until I met a guy who smashed both his knees in when he came off with just jeans on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think most of Route 66 is pretty boring, the last 500 miles over on the west is supposed to be the best, the parts i did over on the west were great

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    on again tonight and tomorrow night

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Once I rode in shorts about 30 miles each way. Going and coming from a moto GP in Spain, didn't want to spend the day sitting in heavy jeans. What I didnt realise was you dont half feel the heat from the engine in bare legs!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Are these the Hairy biker cooks? I came across a recipe online. I'm 40 miles south of route 66 and new to the area, so I haven't ridden it yet. Will be paralleling it this Friday night on a trip to the farm via I-44 in my car. May drive 140 mi stretch of it on Sunday on my way home when I won't be so hard-pressed for time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#9 Cyborgbot, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
    After a bad prang I am an “all the kit, all the time’ advocate. Seeing someone hooning about in t-shirt, Bermuda shorts and flip flops (was observed in Brighton whilst they were riding a big sports bike) made me wince and pity the poor Doctors and nurses having to do skin grafts (not fun to have), picking debris from whatever skin/flesh/muscle/
    Vascular system etc is left on the remnants of a ground away bone. A gentle spill could be a walk away and laugh about it later experience in proper kit. Months of hospital treatment with pain, expense, inconvenience and life long scars or disability for the one wearing beach attire.

I wonder just how much riding the Hairy chaps do vs trailer the bikes to a mile down the road and film the arrival... I haven’t seen the show so don’t know if the riding forms a major or minor part of the show.

Each to their own I suppose but think the cost of care should be paid by the ones that don’t take reasonable precautions regardless of fault.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I get that and fair play. How much riding these fellas do is minor I think compared to meeting people and doing some cooking themselves. If I’m in normal clothes it’s only ever a nip to the shops or an errand, if more than say 5 miles I’ll wear proper gear. I know an accident can happen anywhere but there you go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    The only thing I have about people not riding in protective gear is people get hurt and then we may be legislated in to wearing certain types of protection. We have enough people against us as it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Also heard about a fella who had a slow speed impact on a Big boxer engined BMW and bust both legs just above the ankle cos of the protruding cylinder heeds! Has now put me off for life.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I always thought those bulbous bits would protect sparrow legs on a sideways slide. What was the circumstances of the fella you heard of?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    From what I remember he was hit from behind, not 100% on this but he was at pains to impress on me that it was v slow speed and resulted in 2 Broken legs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Maybe the driver that hit him gently with their car then got out and finished the job with a bat - I can’t imagine the scenario where a low speed shunt would cause so much damage. Definitely odd.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    'Finished the job with a bat?' What sort of people do you mix with down there?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Fellow Scots, who else.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Ah, that explains it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Yeah - I’m posh to be using a bat. Most would use a metal bar. Heathens...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    I agree: a bat is much more refined. More cricket, you might say.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1