Hagon Vs. Oem Shocks

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by LeezRyd, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Being a neophyte Triumph rider ('19 T100), I don't want to just jump onto the "Gotta change 'em" rear shock conspiracy. My last ride was a Yamaha SCR950, and I have to say the suspension was, shall I say, severely lacking. Sort of like 2x4's for shocks/forks. When I rode the T100 for the first time, the ride was so plush in comparison, I didn't want to get off! So, my question is, should I just ride the bike the way it left the factory, or would it be worth my while to invest in a set of Hagon 2810's? I'm not a "road warrior" by any stretch, just an old guy looking for a comfortable ride for what time I have remaining. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    If you find it works for you, leave it, but maybe in time you might decide to change them. I find on my 07 bonnie that they are not great so I will replace them at some stage, not yet though

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I have 2810’s on my Street Twin with progressive spring up front. For me a definite improvement over stock but I’m a lump so the stocks were never going to work

smoother, more planted especially when you give it some beans

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Definitely better than stock and worth the money

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    LeeRyd
    Welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show the inmates the steed. As for shocks. My 2010 i just had to change the shocks and front springs as i thought they were lacking. But my 2018 is perfect the way it is and i have not touched them. Its an individual thing that we all ask ourself's.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree with the previous post. If they work for you then leave well alone..

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #7 Flashp, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    If you're into the T100 for the long term then an investment in quality suspension may be worthwhile. Many owners are of the opinion that there's room for improvement, I've experienced a profound improvement in my 2018 bike and I'm pleased I didn't delay in doing it.

There's a road near me that, when ridden at a particular speed (within the posted limit), wouldn't let the rear suspension recover and the ride got progressively worse until you were throttling off as you felt grip being compromised and the ride getting rougher- it's like the damper became pressurized. This is unique to the road, my weight and the pre-load I had set but it was enough for me to draw a line under the standard parts. My opinion of them is that they're worse than bargain basement parts, shameful on Triumphs part when you look at what very similar money gets you on a Street Triple. We're getting mugged somewhat with the 'Modern Classics' suspension components, in particular the T100, T120 and the spine damaging Bobber (which is why they made the tank so small - you HAVE to get off it every 90 minutes to fill it up/re-align your spine :laughing:). Triumph know it as well, they made significant changes to the Speed Twin's front end. Still great looking bikes though and that's why we bought them! :)

For me at least, the front was also a disappointment. In isolation they're probably OK if you happen to match the weight the suspension was optimized for, which is going to be a very broad average as you would reasonably expect. I have another Triumph which has Showa big piston forks and Ohlins rears and when I rode the T100 after that before the change it was disappointing.

I had an Ohlins cartridge kit fitted and Nitron rears with 'ideal' spring rates for me fitted and it's a real treat on poor B (rural) roads, which is likely where most T100's spend their time. Having said that, if you want to push on a bit (relatively speaking) or you incorrectly asses the road ahead, you will have maximized your chances of safe passage and there's a decent safety margin in having that in the back pocket. Not forgetting better controlled diving under braking.

Now the T100 is every bit as good as the other bike in it's way. I can't see me selling it for some time yet, I'm probably a good few years away from that and I've had it a year and a half now and put several thousand miles on it. The Triumph comfort seat was also a big improvement, I can thoroughly recommend one of those.