Hagon Nitros

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Yorkie199, Feb 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkie199

Yorkie199 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Manage to get these beauties fitted to the T100 this afternoon, hopefully I will get chance to take it for a spin later in the week .
    IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Got em on mine. Love them especially with the progressive front fork springs from TEC

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Looking at the weather here it might be a while before I get chance to test em but they can't be worse than the original ones :)

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You must be a patient sort of guy, I couldnt resist when I changed mine even though the weather was poor.
    I changed the rear shocks from OEM to standard Hagon (£145 pr.) then a couple of months later changed the OEM front forks springs to Hagon progressive and 7.5 oil.
    Result = Bloody marvelous!
    Improved handling and comfort without a shadow of a doubt, I am sure you will get the same result.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I should have tried them today as the weather was nice but Sod's law meant I was busy ......can't wait :)

6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You'll be aiming for the pot holes and bumps, no more jarring the spine and skipping round corners.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Put a set of those on the other half's Bonnie SE, made a world of difference compared to the rigid RSJ's they'd fitted as standard....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Lol you're not wrong......there is a particular road round here that was a nightmare last time I went on it so that one is going to be my first destination with c spanner in pocket ready to make adjustments...cant wait :)

9. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Girders is exactly the way I described the OEM suspension :)

10. Sandyb

Sandyb New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Carnoustie
    Maybe a stupid question but is it easy to replace the rear shocks? was thinking of doing something similar and what is the best way to select replacement ones is there measurements I need to be taking etc

Sorry for going off topic

11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Very easy Sandy, I changed mine in about 10 mins.
    If you watch the Delboy youtube clip it tells you all you need to know.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    As Mick said it is really easy to do, I just rang Hagon shocks and told them what bike I had and the guy spent at least 10-15 minutes explaining all the different spring types etc, all you need to do is give them the rider's weight, the passenger weight, any luggage that you think you will be carrying and the rider and passenger weights need to be with all your riding gear on and they then put the springs on the shocks to match.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bonnie lad

Bonnie lad New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Went for a short spin and a brew to Dunstable downs yesterday Brrrrrr... to test the TEC £60 rear jobbies I fitted recently, not exactly a transformation but over small potholes a noticeable improvement, the mrs even made favorable comments! hopefully they will get even better with use, I was sceptical for the price but so far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I'm hoping for a decent improvement in comfort as in no more jarring of the spine :)

15. Sandyb

Sandyb New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Carnoustie

Thanks guys, really keen to get this done soon, knowing its easy can save a load doing it myself

• Like Like x 1
  16. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    One thing with the Nitro shocks is that the spring preload is adjusted by a screw thread and number of revolutions (max 6 I think) so it's best if you make a note of it when you adjust which is what I didn't do just before its winter sleep!
    I contacted Hagon to check what measurements to look for and Dave came straight back with the following info which may be of interest to other Nitro users

The free length of the Nitro spring (unfitted) is 225mm. we install and despatch your shocks with 10mm of preload applied, making the fitted length of the spring standard 215mm of course.
    To add a passenger of 10-12st you can then increase preload until the spring is 205mm fitted length.

There is a degree of flexibility of course so conventional steel rule is perfectly adequate

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    That's a really good point thanks for that

18. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    So I finally managed to get out on the Bonneville today for the first time since fitting the shocks and I have to say that they are definitely an improvement. I'm no expert but they just seem to be better all round and I purposely went down some roads that I know were a nightmare on the bike before and have to say the difference was huge and the upshot is that when I got off the bike I was definitely less tired than previously so overall I'm a happy chappy.
    IMG_0599.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Tell you what I have noticed since fitting the Hagon rear shocks.
    When I hit the speed bumps a little fast (120mph lol) the centre stand bounces a little and it definitely did not do that with the OEM shocks on over the same bumps at the same speed.
    Anyway I have hired a JCB for the weekend so once I get rid of the bumps that should cure it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Mick, it could be the centre stand spring itself. Not long after we bought the other half's Bonnie, I noticed the sidestand bouncing around excessively (co-incidentally this was just after fitting the Hagons on it.)
    Asked the dealer if they had seen the problem before and they said there was a batch of springs that weren't treated properly and replaced it on the spot.

• Like Like x 2