Grinding paste anyone?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by crispey, Oct 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    having been out on Doris the other day, pre hissy fit, see what I did there? Flat tyre, hissy? Oh never mind!
    Anyways I was parked up and some smart arse asked wether the oil leak was an optional extra on modern triumphs, gleefully pointing at s couple of spots of oil under Doris, I retorted with the fact that if I'd paid for that I'd want a puddle rather than a spot. It did get me worried though and I checked under Doris, oooer! And noticed a slight dribble, ooooer again,
    IMG_2097.JPG
    I guessed, read hoped, it might be chain oil oozing out from the sprocket cover so bookmarked to check it the next day, hissy fit prevented that so managed it this morning.
    Wether it's the cause or not I don't know yet but I discovered something that should be checked/cleaned more than every 2 years as I imagine it's not doing any good
    IMG_2098.JPG

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    What sort of chain lubricant are you using ? Axle grease ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    No! just got a very steep driveway,

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Scottoiler, but nourished over time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I'll keep an eye on my Scottoiler then, thanks for the 'heads up'

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi. I have found that regular oiling of the chain leads to a build up of gunk and grime in the front sprocket cover ! You will notice an OIL leak if you take your bike out for a decent length ride on a warm to hot day as the built up grime heats up the residual oil there thins and runs out from the pile! Doesn't look good but does little damage, unless its left to really pile up for several years !!! As then it can fill the cover tight up and some breaks loose into the chain linkages and yes grinding paste action begins! Whilst it can't/doesn't make contact with the chain and front sprocket it's all OK !! It's just unseen and unknown, does no real harm just something to check from time to time, when you clean this area. Don't use solvents like kero or turps unless you remove the chain, and then only replace the chain when all is dry, I just take the front cover of gouge/pry the grime out with a stick of wood or plastic a couple of times a year...! Don't do any other cleaning here as chain lube does it! If the muck is really built up I then remove the chain and wash the area thoroughly with decreased or kero, I usually get 35 to 45 thousand klms from my chains, regular oiling regardless of what you can't see happening behind the sprocket cover is more important than over cleanliness in there!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    When I have Scot Oilers or similar I clean the front sprocket area every 3/4 weeks. Keeps the build up to a minimum

• Like Like x 2
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hey ho! You would have thought I’d learnt!! Can’t remember when I looked behind the sprocket cover!

4407F23F-1E67-4D74-8C53-8829890EB25E.jpeg FACA44B5-E29C-49E2-8A05-A5A4369D885E.jpeg
    Grinding paste going cheap

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks, that’s what I always do but maybe I chucked a few sneaky sprays in at some point!

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks, that’s what I always do but maybe I chucked a few sneaky sprays in at some point!

11. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    FYI

I use BelRay super clean chain lube. Works well and very little fling off, and therefore do not need to clean the sprocket area very often.
    upload_2019-7-24_7-45-58.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I find the oil drops off the sprocket area and onto the exhaust when it's parked up. Then when the pipes warm up again it smells luvverly!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Nah - He’s just pulling an awesome wheelie whilst taking the photo. Showing off.

14. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Incidentally... I found this morning when I got home, the smell gets rid of the midges too.... Multi-tasking!

• Like Like x 1