Great Music Debate - American Vs British Rock?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Feb 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?
  1. U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!

17.9%
  2. British....obviously

82.1%
  1. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Ain't it always the way, our US cousins probly love Brit rock and a lot of us in UK love American rock but!!
    We have Led Zep and they got Jimie Hendrix I reckon a draw?

My Forum name comes from one of the most underrated brit bands, I know there are many, Wishbone Ash, named my two eldest sons after Andy Powell and Martin Turner, my youngest son was gonna be Rory but the missus won that one:p
    If I ever get married again there could be a kid called Bonneville going to school in 5 or 7 years;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I went to Camden in November to see Reignwolf (Jordan Cook) he's been around a while but just released the first album, I've been to many, many live gigs over the years but that one was right up there as one of the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    F’ing eejit! @Judd Dredd
    You didn’t include Brighton rock in the poll!!
    D9B8F4BB-C8A8-49C5-A5B2-A7753D7C9112.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I seen Stevie Ray Vaughn (SRV) live in concert. It was like holy frecking cow wtf just happened, never seen anything like his lightning fast skilfull, energetic performance. It wasn't just one song but, the whole concert. His guitars were quite battle scared and worn, the only time I have walked away from an event totally awestruck wondering how can that performance be possible. Alien maybe. You can Google some of the YouTube stuff. I doubt I will ever witness that kind of musical event in my lifetime again. Wtf cubed!!! Died in helicopter crash before he shamed many performers.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Neither side would be much good without the other... the influences bounce across the world affecting each other so much it’s indeterminable!

But obviously British is slightly better! ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Why did you model for the album cover then?

220px-JethroTullAqualungalbumcover.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Given your list, I would have to say American. Most of the first half of the list includes the very performers who influenced the British bands. But then this is so personal, it's like asking which is the better ice cream, vanilla or chocolate? Just my 2 bits!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bryf

Bryf Guest

:joy::joy::joy: they invited Tony Iommi to join that band but he declined and carried on with what was to become the mighty Black Sabbath, bet your glad of that dilligaf :p for me there's nothing to beat the late 60's to mid 70's UK bands, maybe I am biased though as this was the music I listened to in my teens and which I still listen to love and never tire of, some tracks bring great memories flooding back, bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Yes, Cream, etc, and what about Budgie (an under rated Welsh band) oh and early Status Quo and Genesis before they both went shite!:poop:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Nah Brit rock!! Just found/remembered this:

10. rufo11

rufo11 Senior Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Montevideo, URUGUAY
    I like both, but I am an admirer of rock and English blues, greetings to Darrel Higham !!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    I went British rock...but to tip the scales back to us yanks, I will just leave this one here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    I can't believe I've not picked up on this thread until today!! I understand t'list int exhaustive, but a few noticable exceptions are, ont Yank side, Joe Bonamassa and Alter Bridge, and ont British side, Saxon, Uriah Heep and Nazareth. I know we could go on for ages, as we all have our personal favourites, but these stood out for me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Best albums I've ever heard - Van Halen 1 and 2, maybe we need a Dutch category but I guess David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony make them an American band

• Like Like x 2
  14. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Slightly theme related.

Watched a great programme last night on BBCi player. Rock n Roll Island.

It's about some of today's superstars when they were mere yoofs playing gigs at Eel Pie island on the Thames. Probably suit the 60+ age group, for which I well qualify.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    was that where the stones started?

16. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I think so. They are definitely featured in the programme being very young. Strange to see Mick Jagger with a short back and sides. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Notably missing on USA side Lou Reed and New York Dolls
    Missing Brit side Herman’s Hermits, Dave Clark 5, The Shadows and Cliff Richard, The animals, The Troggs, Johnny Kid and the Pirates,

And The stranglers, The Clash, The Pistols, Siouxsie and the Banshees,

British without a doubt:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    A local guitar legend died here in Sheffield, last week. Some of you may have heard of him, he was called Frank White. In t'60's and early 70's he was said to be int same category as Clapton. He had t'first double necked guitar this side ot pond, he toured with Dave Berry, another Sheffield musician. He then found religion, and got married. He used to play every Friday, for 20 years, at a pub called the Pheasant, in Sheffield, and I've been to see him many times.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    "Please No" I can put up with most but not Jesus wants me for a sunbeam Cliff

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    In the early days he was quite the dude:)

The British Elvis or was that Tom Jones:rolleyes:

I don’t know I’m too young

• Funny Funny x 1