Great Gesture In These Rubbish Times

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Helmut Visor, Mar 28, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  2. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I saw that and, whilst it seemed like a nice gesture, I was worried that all it would spawn was hundreds or maybe thousands of competitive begging letters as it appears that anyone wanting a bike has to apply indicating why they are worthy of a Harley but can't afford one.

And if someone is genuinely unable to afford a Harley (there are lot of mint used Harleys out there), providing them with a new expensive asset that will be costly to insure, run and maintain isn't a great plan.

Providing 60 people a year with a Honda Cub and maybe a day out on a Harley feels to me like a better option than providing 6 people a year with a Harley.

That's me with my sensible head on. Good advertising for the dealership though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    You would have to be desparate:p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I think @Gyp has it about right. If you cannot afford a bike it is unlikely you will be able to run a new one. I reckon the lucky owners if they do get one they will be selling the bike for the cash..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Holy shit is there anyone on this forum who has a positive outlook on life, what a bunch of grumpy old fuckers :( no wonder no-one does anything nice for anyone else, they know they'll just be slated for it and have everyone looking for the negatives. I will continue to enjoy life, look for the positives and believe the glass is half full and leave all the pessimism to you lot : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Well I think its a nice gesture. Terms and conditions apply :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    There could well be. Possibly some "contract" where the dealer follows up the bike give away to the new owner with there riding experiences and day to day life with their new pride and joy. Who knows but the bottom line is someone's getting something for nothing so you can't really call that!
    Just to make one thing perfectly clear, I HAVE NO INTENTION OF BUYING A HARLEY but if I did I wouldn't be that bothered about the giveaway scheme and would still be shopping round and haggling for a good deal.

8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I’m with you, @Helmut Visor. I think it’s a wonderful story and love that this dealership does things to give back. I’m striving to be positive and resisting becoming completely cynical these days. Thank you for sharing a positive and encouraging story. I loved it! :):heart: