Grease Bearings Street Triple -06

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jesper Nordling, May 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jesper Nordling

Jesper Nordling New Member

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    Hello! I recently bought a Speed triple -06 with roughly 18600 miles (30 000 km) and I have looked over the service scheme. I saw that the rear wheel bearings should be lubricated after 20 000 km, which I´m not sure has been done.

It has been dealer serviced until 130 000 miles (21 000 km) and I know the valve clearance check was made, still not sure about the bearings though.

The issue, I don´t own any stands capable of lifting the rear wheel. Therefore I´m thinking about buying a center stand that lifts it centerally (about £250). What would you guys do? Continue riding or make the investment and service it? I have to buy new tires as well so money is a bit tight.

Best regards Jesper

2. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    Buy an Abba stand to lift the bike up off the ground. Ask the dealer if they checked the wheel bearings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jesper Nordling

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    I'm looking at the constands, a bit cheaper than the Abba stands.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Jesper, the service schedule for greasing the rear wheel bearings on your bike are 10,000 and 30,000 km, you say it has been dealer serviced until 21,000 km then it is doubtful they have been re greased since the 10,000 km service, the job is straightforward enough, you say you are on a tight budget, if you have a garage with roof supports then you could consider using ratchet straps attached to the rear footrest hangers, if you use this method put a cable tie on the front brake lever to stop forward movement. Do not under any circumstances remove the cage roller bearings as they almost always break up, also there are spacers, shims, seals etc to replace, and it then becomes expensive, hopefully the eccentric adjuster should be free if it has been dealer serviced, although to grease the bearings you do not have to remove it, once the rear wheel is off you can access the bearings and re pack with grease. Personally I have an Abba Stand amongst other things, it makes life easier although they are not cheap especially if you buy the full fitment kit. You can adjust the chain on the side stand, however a dedicated stand is far better and a wise investment in the long term, also when re fitting the securing spring for the wheel retaining nut either use a small cable tie or lock wire the two ends (there have been cases of the spring retaining clip coming off), probably due to it being re used a number of times previously and loosing tension.

5. Jesper Nordling

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    Hello! Thanks for the input. I guess I'll invest in one of those center lifts. Another question, should you replace the left nut on the sprocket side of the wheel axel or can you reuse it with good conscience?

6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Jesper, the nut on the drive side is staked and needs replacing, I would not recommend re using it, the opposing nut (wheel side you can re use with no problem)

7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Totally right but you want to lift it on the swingarm pivot if you want to remove the hub assy.
    You need an abba stand

8. Jesper Nordling

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    Yes constands makes them as well, got one ordered today!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jesper Nordling

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    If I carefully unstake it and then stake it in another place, won't that work?

10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I would not personally re use it, for the cost it is not worth it, I have seen them re staked and even lock tight used, however when torqued up correctly it would not be that far out from the original point, therefore re staking would be very near to the original stake, if you had been in the UK I would have sent you one FOC. Whilst you are re greasing the rear bearings I would strip and re grease the suspension linkages, they often get neglected and are open to the elements more.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jesper Nordling

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    Update, the constand centerlift worked great! I have now greased my rear wheel bearing and will do the linkage soon. I also reused to staked nut after carefully destaking it, making sure not to damage the threads.

Not sure if it was pure luck or whatnot but after torquing the nut after the regrease the other factory (unused) staked part of the nut lined up perfectly with the groove on the axel. The hardest part of the job is by far getting the staked nut loosened in the first place.

I went down to my local machinist and after a ride in the turning machine they got the 46 mm socket fitting perfectly and used an impact on it to get the nut loosened for me.