Got Me A New Toy .......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Oct 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

So, haven't been using my KTM much, with the accident last year, it did bugger all miles over the winter. MOT up in April and is still not done it, due to it needing a new battery (got) and a new rear tyre (got but not fitted yet), then off for an MOT. Told the missus I am flogging it (got a buyer lined up), and am going to use the money to buy myself a wee car, I can use for 12 car rallies, Targa Rallies, maybe even have a go at sprints at a local course and then next year use it for Grass Autotesting. Generally a wee car just to abuse and it not matter if it breaks, as I don't need to get to work in it , on the Monday.

So I bought this at the weekend........

[​IMG]

Mini Cooper 1.6i - 115 bhp of bouncy little fun machine. :p 76k on the clock, 6 mths MOT all for £750:D, books at £1100, so well happy with the deal. Gear linkage a bit stiff, OSF wheel bearing a bit grumbly, but other than that runs great. Gearbox is quiet (major worry on these, but usually good till 125k). And underneath is surface rust, but not rot as I can see, get it on the ramp tomorrow for a full underneath inspection.

I always take a bit of old carpet to lie on to look underneath and an inspection light, to look at cars, buyer's think I am weird, but don't care. I got £1000's knocked of the Freelander, and part of that was rattling the rear exhaust heat shield, sounded terrible to the seller, still loose now, 5 years later:p

Gets her first outing in November for a night navigational rally (we are leading the novice section currently), then another two rallies before Xmas to seel the title:cool:. Did the first half at the beginning of the year in my daughters MG ZR, but now she is driving it, has a black box:tired_face:, so I can't rag it around the back lanes of D&G like a loony !!! :joy:

And the best bit? My missus took it out last night, bombed around some back roads, fell in love with it (see pic below) and now claims to be her wee runabout - might sound bad - but means I get to keep the KTM !!!!
    God bless her little cotton socks:heart_eyes::kissing_heart::heart_eyes::kissing_heart::heart_eyes: Wait till it gets bucket seats and harnesses, she'll soon not bother.

Been hammering Ebay today, rally map light ordered, big ol' mudflaps to keep the body relatively dent free, full service kit, to get it done before I properly rag it about.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 23
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #2 Tiglet, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Looks a great little car you’ve got there Ron :cool:

Just don’t go throwing it down the road and hurting yourself, remember we’ve got a date with you at Bellingham next July :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Leave cement mixers alone...:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: I was gonna say that :p

5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Anytime.:cool:

Come up next year and you can have a go at autotesting, but be warned, it is bloody addictive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Keep us posted, vicarious living is cheap cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Nice Mr O, and a (relatively) cheap way to get your adrenaline fix, keep us posted with your progress.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#8 MrOrange, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    IMG_20181012_121716.jpg

Took it to work this week. Front crossmember rusty but solid and suspension arm after waxoyl'd. All the rusty bits scraped and waxoyl'd now. Kids bloody loved doing it.
    Teaching these kids (one is a girl) history or Spanish is a waste of feckin time. How to waxoyl the underside of a mini ...... priceless.

Measured up for a sumpguard, got an old one lying about, will be adapted before autotesting begins next Easter.

Edit: And yes we did waxoyl the brake pipe unions, before you ask ;):D

• Like Like x 9
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Nice one big man.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Will it be roll cage fitted and harnesses?

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Buckets and harness to go Sprinting at some point. But trying to lose weight so probably not a roll cage, unless I get into Targa rallies, then maybe.

If I was to fall over one, then the answer will be yes. :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Was out today in this ''storm'. Was playing at Hannu Nikola (tell my age), and going full steam through the flooded bits. Great fun. :cool:

Just ordered a new wheel arch spat that I lost in one of the big splashes :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

Brand new, delivered from China - £9.99 . Second hand from breakers was more expensive:confused::laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Fuck, bollocks, wank, tosser, shit, cnuts, bastard.

Just realised I have to go get some golf stick, a pair of hideous Rupert trousers and drive even more like a cnut.

Now I'm a B#W driver :weary_face:

I will try not to use the indicators again:sweat:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    BMW and KTM what a year eh!o_O

15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

First modification done. Pissing it down here, so can't get on with doing the cylinder head gasket on the MG, so did this wee job to keep my idle hands busy.
    We do events called 12'car rallies. They are run at night, in the dark (so you can see car headlights coming towards you when fleeing down single track back lanes). You get an OS map, and a set of cryptic clues relating to map references. You get 2 minutes to do every mile (5 miles = 10minutes), but this includes time to plan your route. So to average 30 mph, you are often going a lot faster.:eek::laughing:

So a map light is essential. Used headtorch in the past, but 2.5 hours of bumping around gives my daughter a headache.

IMG_20181013_153115.jpg

Used a product called Sugru to fill in the gap between flat base and curved trim. Great stuff, Google it and see what it can do.

IMG_20181013_153121.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Carefully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It’s not the getting in but the getting out that’s a worry. Once everything’s been shaken down and settled trying to get that load out and up hill will be a worry

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's a REALLY good deal ar kid - well done. You'll have loads of fun with that !!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    It's a BMW isn't it?o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    The post 2004 gearboxes are better as earlier ones are ex rover I’ve been told,one thing to watch is near side driveshaft support bearing some twats try to sell complete shaft including bearing at great expense,not necessary you can get new bearing removed and pressed on for far less I had that on my 2004 cooper great wee car.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1