Got All The Bits I Need...

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing' started by learningtofly, Feb 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Ion Air Pro 3, memory card, external (Drift HD Ghost) external microphone and an accessory mount kit which is needed for the right-angled mount to go on the side of the helmet. I bought the camera from an Amazon Marketplace seller for £99 (a superb price and he has another one listed), and in total I've spent a tad under £150 for the whole lot.

I'm just charging the camera, and will then get it and the mic fitted to my helmet before taking it out over the weekend for a test. I've never done anything like this before, as aside from general recording for safety reasons I'm also going to have a stab at starting a YouTube channel. Eeeek!!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Looking forward to watching some of your work, Be safe and enjoy the ride!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 1
  4. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, I've just posted my first video. Unfortunately it's become very compressed following YouTube's processing, so i'll have to think about how best to avoid that in future. It also has a bit of shake and it's not really edited - I've only just found some editing software i can use, in fact, as my Macbook Pro doesn't seem able to run iMovie for some reason.

Anyway, hopefully the next one will be a lot better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, a (slightly better) new version is up now - the video quality is still poor but I've cut a few bits out, added something at the beginning and end and stabilised it a bit.

Lots of work to do to improve things, but any early opinions - good or bad - would be appreciated.

6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #6 learningtofly, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Just a quick update on this (for anyone wondering about gear for YouTube fame and glory), but the Ion camera and all the other bits I bought for it have now been returned for a refund. Aside from the image quality - which I wasn't happy with - the thing was impossible to get completely stable as it was very slightly loose in the various mounts. Not exactly ideal when you're on a motorbike.

Anyway, I thought long and hard about this, and have ended up with a Sena 10c Pro, which is not only a camera but also a serious communications hub (which is really what they're known for). It arrived yesterday, and I've now got the speakers and microphone installed inside my helmet (the former being a bit of a pain, and requiring some minor modification of the polystyrene cheek inserts).

It's very neat, though, and connects via Bluetooth to my phone as well as giving me all sorts of voice prompts and other good stuff.

IMG_3867.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, I managed to get out and give the camera a bit of a test. The video is here so if you get a chance to have a look I'd welcome any feedback (both positive and negative). I know I say "errr" rather a lot, by the way... must stop doing that :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Personally I wouldn’t fix a camera to a helmet, they’re not designed to work with something stuck to the side, if you are unlucky enough to have an off, the helmet is designed to slide along the road, that mount could dig in and twist you head around in extreme circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    That's why I didn't get a GoPro - I totally agree with you. I now use a (flat) Sena mount so that particular risk is mitigated. The risk of boring people isn't, sadly.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    are u Luke Layman ?
    one thing I found with you tube channel is not to overlay music on vids because of copyrights etc its near impossible to edit vids afterwards

12. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    It’s all royalty free music with the necessary acknowledgements provided. You’re right, but I did my research!

13. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Okay, the next thrilling instalment is now available here :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, I managed to upload a bit of footage from the ride out. It's here, although we all got split up very early on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 1
  16. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 2
  17. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    so have you put down a deposit yet?;) i had a go on my mates one for a day and thought it was brilliant,i imagine it would eat up those 240 rear tyres pretty quick so could turn out expensive if you do a lot of miles

• Like Like x 1
  19. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #19 learningtofly, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    If I hadn’t had such a rough few months work wise, I definitely would have done.

As things stand, I’m targeting spring next year as it’s going to be quite an investment.

20. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If you do a fair bit of town riding it might not be the best bike for you,Ducatis are much happier out on the open road..as you say it's a lot of money so you want be 100% sure it will fit the bill

• Like Like x 1