Got A Pleasant Surprise The Other Day .....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stevethegoolie, Dec 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The latest copy of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure dropped through the letterbox. No surprise there though, it was about due.
    I had a quick flick through it to see if there was anything of immediate interest and found an article about the Laverda Montjuic:cool:. I used to own one - lovely bike, set off car alarms as I road past 'em:grinning:! And VERY orange!
    Read through the article and was quite surprised to see that 'their' bike was easy to start:confused:. Twin Dellorto pumper carbs made mine a right royal PITA to start. Indeed, the shop I bought it from had never managed to start it but had said to take it back for a refund if I couldn't get it going. Eventually I did, thanks to Slaters.:D
    Happy days .... sigh.
    Then I noticed a small photo showing (most of) the number plate. It looked familiar. PR? 66? - it had to be a two digit number plus suffix letter from the way the numbers/letters were lined up on the plate.
    I had to check if I still had the sales invoice for my Trident as the Laverda was used as a p/ex. Low and behold there it was, PRL 66Y, and I got £1800 for it! Whilst not conclusive, the evidence seems to support the theory that it was indeed my old bike - probably.
    Made me come over all reminiscent it did.
    Nice to see the 'old girl' is still alive and well though:), but now waaaay out of my price bracket:(! (Okay, I know, it was 22 years ago).:eek:

It is a strange feeling to see one of your old bikes being featured as a 'classic' in a magazine like that. SIGH!

• Like Like x 6
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    How much was it ? or would be ?

3. Yorkie199

Yorkie199 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Cracking bikes in their day

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Huxie

Huxie New Member

May 6, 2017
    The Toon
    Was the one in the magazine being used on the road? If so, unlikely to be yours:

E89281F0-A7C8-409D-9479-AC64729754F9.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I wondered about that - checked it myself - but it could be an old story or it was on trade plates. Who knows? At least it still exists!:grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Around £8,000 - £10,000 for a Mk11 (which it is) and £10,000 to £12,000 for a Mk1. :sob:

I'd love to have the money to do it, but hey ho.:(

It doesn't bear thinking about the current values of some of the bikes we have owned in the past:eek: ..... if only we'd have known then what we know now! :rolleyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Yeah a quick three step... Appropriate !!