Goretex Pro Laminated Jackets, Worth The Cost?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Cooky Boy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    I'm looking to purchase a new waterproof jacket. Living in rainy Devon, I find that 2 winter seasons and waterproof bike jackets are generally beginning to leak.
    Should I pay extra for Goretex pro laminated or am I wasting a lot of cash on marketing and branding.
    Now, I am sure if YOU have paid for a Goretex pro laminate jacket it will be justified by the cost alone but I want the honest truth. Is Goretex pro, really that much better than other waterproof jacket systems?
    Let's be totally honest here and not just repeat the manufacturer flannel. For example, if I pay a lot for just about anything, I'm already exhibiting a bias and am prepared to think it must be better.
    Let's face it, an Audi is much the same as a Skoda except one costs a whole lot more cash because of the badge.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter

Simple answer yes. I’m a big lad and faffing with boil in the bag suits or liners is a pain in the arse. Also I’ve toured and it’s started raining and I’m like ‘it’ll pass in a minute’ then wait to long cos can’t be arsed to stop so end up damp or wet.
    I bought Dainese but when I’m Sales and got complete suit for less than 600 quid. Totally dry and warm in all conditions. Worth every penny. Plus if you do get caught they don’t absorb water so are dry next morning, not heavy with water like suits with liners.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    And I’m in rainy Devon too!

4. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I agree. Mine is a Klim and, although it’s heavy, it doesn’t let the water in even when it gets torrential. I also like that it isn’t warm-lined, so I have to decide what level of cold-protection to wear as a separate thought-process, meaning I don’t often overheat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Thanks Clarky. I’m a Clark too but without excess vowels!
    Which Dainese kit did you purchase?

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I bought several 'cheap' waterproof jackets and trousers in my early biking years, some were okay but most barely kept me dry for one season, leaking around the crotch mostly (because it was so stretched and tight there....fnar fnar:D)

When I invested £350 in some Halverssons trousers that were reduced from around £550 with a removable liner I noticed the quality improvement straight away
    I bought a Triumph jacket too with their own brand of Goretex, with storm collar which was not cheap.
    also some Knox waterproof gloves
    All are totally waterproof and windproof and I have been using them for five years

There was an occasion when I was riding home in an absolute downpour on the motorway with lots of surface water and I was genuinely laughing because I was 100% warm and dry and realising I had lost all those earlier years using cheaper stuff and buying twice/three times.

I agree with the others, invest in quality good kit, it saves you money, time and inconvenience:)

Edit: The jacket and trousers I have has the Goretex inner liner, the outside still gets wet and heavy
    I then have to hang it up and hope is dry before my commute in the morning

Rukka stuff is waterproof on the outside and remains dry throughout - but I couldn't afford that:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Glad to hear you have found some leak proof trousers Red Thunder.
    I too have had trouble with leakage in the crotch region. These days I'm not entirely certain if it is from without or within! Nothing worse than a cold wet nether region with 3 hours left to ride. I can cope with cold extremities except for this particular extremity.
    Nevertheless, it is great to learn the goretex trousers actually work for 5 seasons making the expense seem less hard to swallow. I have a cupboard full of great wet weather gear that is only good for dry weather now and don't wish my next purchase to be anything other than rubber stamped waterproof for life (or at least a large part of what remains).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Yes.

Having Goretex properly bonded/laminated to the outside of the fabric stops everything getting wet and keeps you dry.

Having Goretex on the inside of the fabric keeps you dry but the outer gets wet and heavy.

Anything else is a bit pot luck.

I've not tried the Pro, but I have no reason to suspect that it's less good than an original laminated Goretex jacket

• Like Like x 2
  9. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Bought an expensive Rukka kit a year or 2 ago.. had to ride the length of France in the storm which cancelled our ferry. Stayed perfectly dry on a naked bike in it! Been well tested on other occasions too. Brilliant and a 6 year warranty too.
    On the flip side, you can get a cheap oversuit that will be just as waterproof. Its a lot of money for the convenience of not stopping to pull on your waterproofs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Convenience conquers cost........sometimes!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    This one, can’t remember it’s name!

384D1141-50B0-4F6D-87E0-4ADC0D5AB239.jpeg

12. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Perhaps you could name it Jeremy or Jason or perhaps Jacqueline?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    perhaps I could. What’s with the J names or am I being thick?

14. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Jacket?

it’s been a long day!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Yeah, you could call it Jacket too but that’s a bit obvious!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    E
    Every day is a long day at present

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The key is to get waterproofs with the waterproofing built into the jacket/ trousers rather than drop or removable linings.

The next most important thing to keep whatever kit you get waterproof is to wash it regularly in Nikwax wash and then the Nikwax waterproofing, grit and general dirt reduces the waterproof qualities of the gear.

I have an old pair of Hein Gerike goretex trousers which must be 15 or 20 years old and they are still waterproof, but regularly washed and treated.

If you can't run to Rukka or Klim have a look at the latest Oxford laminated kit which gets good reviews and has a 2 year guarantee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I bought an Oxford Mondial suit in November 2019 as I couldn't justify the cost of a Rukka suit. These are laminated and I found totally waterproof and warm as demonstrated on a trip to Scotland in October when most days were 'wet'. Plus you get a 2 year warranty and it is lighter than others. Might be worth a look!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Rukka kits are absolutely the best. Thinking about the gear I’ve bought over the years and then 1 Rukka kit. Well worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Thank you to one and all for your helpful thoughts and ideas.
    Consensus seems to be that laminated gear works, so I will explore affordable options. Happy wet weather riding and keep it shiny side up.

And that folks concludes this thread nicely...........I'm off to browse the inter web sales.

• Like Like x 1