Goose Wingman Tent

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by OsteKuste, Sep 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I tossed the idea of purchasing this tent for quite a while. It seems a big investment but I was tired of cheap junk camping gear. After placing the order it took about two weeks to get it shipped as they were out of stock at the time. They definitely made up for it by keeping me updated at every opportunity. It shipped out on a Tuesday and my tracking stated it would arrive that Thursday. I thought this had to be a mistake as I am in the US, in Tennessee. It was no mistake, it arrived and was waiting for me after work on Thursday evening! Of course I had to set it up immediately.
    This is what it looked like out of the box.

33EFD4EC-E669-4FA8-8E91-58F1B2817171.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I rolled the bike around to the garage and began setting it up. The setup was pretty straightforward like any other bivy style tent, I won’t bother with the details here. If you want more, search on YouTube for this tent and you will find setup and takedown videos that are very helpful. Setup took about ten minutes, but the second try was much less once I was familiar with the process.
    Here’s the final result.

2957E4FD-8B38-4644-9033-1AD48E83F901.jpeg
    3CE7B6CB-E5BB-41AB-81DC-7348F327428B.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  3. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Here are some detail shots of the construction. Most photos I’ve seen don’t really show the material very well. It is described as heavy ripstop canvas. It reminds me of the olive colored canvas of some military surplus tents I had years ago. Very robust! This is no lightweight backpack tent! It weighs around 10kg, or 20.2lbs. This includes a foam mattress pad and sleeping bag, however. The bag is said to be a three season bag, but seems fairly thin. I am cold natured and anything below 60f or 15c and I’m ready for a jacket. It does have a silver colored liner which may be a heat retaining fabric, I will have to try it out. A review will be added after the maiden voyage in a couple weeks.
    A couple detail shots.

C1A027B6-D1BC-4D15-9A0F-623AA5136149.jpeg

This is a closeup of the fabric and color, something not really clear in the description.
    61F94930-9833-4F95-838D-37980F26134C.jpeg

A wonderful embroidery old school patch on the outside.
    3AF023B4-7B53-4C97-8438-C5C8A54E0C3F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    If anyone wants a particular detail photo or description feel free to ask. So far I’m fairly impressed with the quality of construction and will update when I use it on an upcoming trip. Fall is in full swing and the evenings are getting cooler, perfect camping weather!

I would like to thank Stuart Fillingham for his excellent review of this tent. I’m not sure if he is a forum member, but if you haven’t seen his series of YouTube videos they are a great resource for any Triumph or RE owner.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Looks good, but fairly expensive at £310.

Be better if the flap was bigger and actually covered the bike, rather than just 1/2 cover the seat. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Hi OsteKuste, OK for a stop over but not much longer and be very careful parking the bike on its side stand leaning over the tent as in photo, we nearly lost a club member when his Honda 500 / 4 fell against his tent in the night and the clutch lever missed his head by inches.

7. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Most super light backpacking tents I’ve seen go for that much or more, and don’t forget this includes a really nice sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Not any cheaply made and stitched together junk either, I feel this will last me the rest of my life. Not a bad bargain if you ask me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    It was set up this way just to give an example. The bike is actually far enough away that if it did fall it would barely graze the body of the tent. The perspective of the photo makes it seem closer. It has plenty of room I wouldn’t need any thing else for a long trip, although I am used to a smaller bivy tent than this I use for backpacking.

• Like Like x 3
  9. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    It actually will cover, this was the first time setting up and I started too far away from the bike. There is plenty of room to get closer without danger of the bike falling on you. I always place support under the stand when parking off pavement anyway, just as a precaution.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    Bloody hell, around 20 years ago i made myself something close to this, mine wasnt a tent as such more of an extended roll out with cover, but non the less very close, dam i wish i had patented the idea. never thought someone would want to sleep under their bike, hmmm suppose i did lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Looks great, after reading the story about the Honda, if I get one I will pitch on the other side of the bike!

12. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ve honestly not used it with the bike yet, only car camping on trips hiking and mountain biking. Some of the best sleeps I’ve had in a tent.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mobel

Mobel New Member

Mar 2, 2020
    Crestone
    I believe there is no cheap junk tents as OP said.

There are just 2 types of tents at the market: affordable and lightweight nylon tents and totally waterproof canvas tents that can withstand any environment.

You can find something a bit cheaper from Kodiak Canvas or Bushtec for 1 -person tent, but £310 is OK price for a 100% cotton duck canvas product.

https://wildproofgear.com/best-canvas-tents/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1