Google Maps Usage Whilst Riding

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by BT81, Aug 13, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    #1 BT81, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Hi All

For those that use their phone for sat nav :)

Attached is how a GPX looks in Google, note how some of the red points are close together.

1. I can’t seem to import into google maps for actual turn by turn navigation
    2. I instead created a multi stop route in google maps by identifying where the red dots are. However I am then close to the 10 stop limit for google maps. And then I’d need to stop my bike more often to accept I have reached x location

81982B5C-2955-49B2-B133-1A020807EAF9.jpeg

Here you can see as I try to create a route to follow 0
    1. I’d end up with a million stops! - And do I have to manually accept a stop. Kinda spoils the flow

EF5BDB80-F52A-487F-874F-CB054FA12FC1.png

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    If you do it on your computer then just put the start and end point in, once you've got the suggested route you can drag and drop the line to the roads you want without adding stops. Then just save and add to your phone ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Winner!

I shall that out later today - Shame I can’t do the same on Waze - suppose google gives some speed camera notification. Just note as much as Waze

4. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Waze takes it's info from Google Maps anyway, it's just run by the Israelis ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Yeah, I like the notifications you can get on the odd random speed camera. It’s just it doesn’t have route planning :-(

6. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Such a good idea....doesn't work :-(

So on the example below, I dragged the route to create a little trianlge. Open on my phone - Doesn't include it :-(

Screenshot 2022-08-13 113734.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    You're right, and I've struggled many times with the same issue. I've found that the only option is to do the dragging once you've opened the map on your phone, and that can be far more hit and miss than doing it on a computer. It's very frustrating, actually, and something you'd think Google could sort out properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Once you have adjusted your route click the 3 lines top left. Go to share or embed map, click copy link, send to yourself on WhatsApp, Messenger or other means. Open on your phone, click link, new map :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Tried that many times, but it doesn't copy the route itself across (unless you just happen to want to take the obvious/fastest route) - just the start and end points. Google is rubbish for this kind of thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Never found google work around and just bought a tomtom rider (secondhand) and never looked back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Wouldn't work either

I downloaded Calimoto yesterday. I'll just upload the GPX on that aps. I had a go using it yesterday. It's not brilliant, as it doesn't have traffic etc.

But the turn by turn was 'good enough'

Roll on Belgium!

re Tom Tom - I had a quick look yesterday to buy one - But I have a quad lock set up on my Thruxton, and I'm unsure how I would attach a TomTom - Also, I suspect I'd use it for this trip and never again ??

12. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Maybe just look at map beforehand and pull over to check google maps if you think you're lost........has worked for me for years ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Wouldn't work either

I downloaded Calimoto yesterday. I'll just upload the GPX on that aps. I had a go using it yesterday. It's not brilliant, as it doesn't have traffic etc.

But the turn by turn was 'good enough'

Roll on Belgium!

re Tom Tom - I had a quick look yesterday to buy one - But I have a quad lock set up on my Thruxton, and I'm unsure how I would attach a TomTom - Also, I suspect I'd use it for this trip and never again ??
    Yeah - I’ll just type in Spa and take it from there :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Yeah - I’ll just type in Spa and take it from there :)

Worked for me to get to Hildesheim for years :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I think I'd rather have technology on tap that actually works. Or maybe I should just put an A-Z in my backpack o_O

• Like Like x 2
  16. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #16 brown mouse, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    TomTom Rider satnavs come with device specific Ram mount bits, well mine did at least, and a cable for wiring to 12V. (You need to use a switched 12V line on bike though, as the mount draws a bit of current when not in use as it contains as 12V-to-5V converter).

• Like Like x 1