Featured Goldtop Bobber Gloves

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by OsteKuste, May 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    7EBB9671-8CDD-4666-8A47-AD3E91256876.jpeg Ordered the Bobber gloves in the cognac color direct from Goldtop and received them to the US within a week. I have been using a pair of cheap internet special gloves for the past year. The first thing I noticed was the smell when I opened the package, call me odd but there’s just a certain smell to quality leather work and that’s what it was. Right out of the package they were supple and fit like a... glove. No bunching or any odd spots that would seem to cause any discomfort. The stitching is perfect as are the details like the perforations and pleats on the fingers. I’ve ridden with them for a week now, through temps in the mid 80s and some heavy rain. The fleece lining is not hot at all, and I can feel some air flow from the perforations. In a heavy rain that only lasted a few minutes I really didn’t notice any water getting in, and if it did the gloves dried as fast as the rest of me during the ride. After a week these gloves have conformed to my hands and my grip so I don’t really notice wearing them. All in all I wish I had sprung for them ages ago, as I see now that you truly get what you pay for. I will be getting a pair of the winter gauntlets for cold riding guaranteed.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Oh for goodness sake.
    They're bleedin gloves...that's all.
    Look I'm sorry but I ride 18000( yes, that's right-18000) miles a year.
    Sumner I wear cheap thin gloves...autumn I add a pair of thicker gauntlets..winter I switch the heated grips on.
    I don't mean to cause offence but please let's not fetishize a pair of gloves

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    there's nothing like a good pair of gloves... that fit like a glove;):cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I know...maybe a bit rash of me but to me it's all about riding, the bike, the experiences we have on the way.
    Buying a posh pair of gloves is not high on my list of esoteric memories.
    Sorry...I meant to say ' sorry' but,er, I'm not sorry

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Considering a good pair of gloves keeps the arthritis I have in both hands from flaring up and putting me off the bike as opposed to some of the ill fitting cheap crap I’ve tried I’ll take the better choice. I bet the years of service I get out of these gloves will make them cheaper in the long run than all the Chinese made crap you are probably rocking. As they say, to each their own. I do find your mild hostility a bit out of place on this forum, don’t see you post much. Won’t miss it if you go.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I won't respond to the personal comments...but I'd like to make a serious point. As motorcycling has moved from being transport to a ' leisure activity' we are now prime targets for marketing campaigns....I've rarely found the expensive and hyped stuff to be worth the huge difference charged.
    Maybe I could have said that differently in the first place...so please, don't leap to be offended where no personal slight was intended by me.
    We all have more in common as motorcyclists than we have our differences.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I'm not defending rubbish gear...only questioning the impact of marketing on the consumer.
    I did start to write about the work of Michel Foucault...but on reflection this isn't the place for that sort of epistle.
    I suppose what I mean is that I know many folks who tend to equate cost with quality/ suitability for purpose.
    Beyond a certain level of quality there is a law of diminishing returns in terms of value for money.
    So ' very expensive' may not be that much better than ' good'.
    My own experiences of falling off would confirm a) that I'm still here and b) it hurts no matter what you're wearing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Your secret is safe with me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ve seen a lot of fashion riding gear that was much more expensive than Goldtop and had questionable protection and quality. A lot of it hangs in branded dealerships giving the impression of good merchandise at a premium. I’ve also seen a lot of rubbish cheap gear that either fits poorly, falls apart in a few seasons, or offers no protection. My intent was to give a review of my experience with a bit of gear that may help someone else make a decision. After all, I feel that is what our forum is for. Especially a thread earmarked for clothing and gadgets. If I would have hass more information in the beginning I could have taken a lot of the money I spent on cheap I’ll made gear and spent it on quality, probably coming out cheaper in the end. Buy once, cry once.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #10 MadMrB, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Whilst there is a little merit to what you say, I believe it worth researching and buying riding gear that is the best quality that your budget allows. Afterall if you have quality wear that will not only protect in the event of an off, but also is comfortable it allows you to enjoy your riding more. As it is "all about riding" then for many of us having decent quality and comfortable gear allows us to focus more on our riding pleasure and enjoying our surroundings rather than being distracted by cheap uncomfortable/unsuitable clothing.

Yes some manufacturers take the piss a bit with their pricing (and price is no guarantee of quality), but if you are intelligent enough then you should be able to purchase quality equipment at reasonablly acceptable prices.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Senior Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    I all about gloves. When I find a pair I really like, I will buy two pairs, once I bought 3 pairs because of closeout. I found that If I really like the way a glove fits and behaves, by the time I wear them out or damage/lose one, they will be discontinued. Get what you like and get two if you really like.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Goldtop jackets are made in India and imported to the UK. A shop then sews in the coloured collar trim. I would love to buy a proper Foxcreek jacket from the US. USA leather and USA made.

Best pair of gloves I've ever bought were gardening gloves from Waitrose years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    So maybe we're not so far apart on that topic after all.
    Often you get what you pay for...but by no means always
    I currently have a cordura jacket from a famous German maker ( not cheap, ouch) which is no match at all in quality and durability for the one I had before....which I bought for a fraction of the price in a budget supermarket.
    In UK there is a boot maker who'll take your order and make your boots if you pay enough and don't mind waiting. These are good boots but, at the price, not that good compared to other bike boots.

14. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Aldi used to do some super bike gear. Not seen it for a few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Mine were from LIDL... excellent at £76 for jacket and trousers
    Used them for almost 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    And I wanted to replace my old leather jacket....' proper' shops wanted upwards of £150.
    I bought off eBay for £45. Same quality.
    I rest my case M'Lud.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I am currently using a leather Triumph branded jacket I found on eBay. It was a good bargain considering the same jacket hasn’t been made in a few years, and when it was it went for nearly $1000 US! It was whensome of the Triumph gear was really solid, even has some decent armor inserts. I got it for what a no name eBay special would have cost me, otherwise it would have been out of consideration. There are bargains out there, but I will pay for quality any time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I bought a Lewis leathers jacket, trouser and boots in about 1983 at the London Bike Show. Got a great bargain on the last day of the show. Superb quality. But I was only working as a clerk, so doubt I would have spent that much. However, I think the leather shrunk over the years, ahem......Anyway, got rid of them to a friend I think.

ps - wasn't dissing Goldtop, just remarking that nowt seems to be made in the UK. Although a little leather shop I know in East London would make a bespoke leather jacket for about £300. But, as per previous posts, how can this compete against a £45 item on ebay?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I got a fantastic Lewis textile winter jacket 3 years ago.
    30 quid on eBay.:):)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I think the point is that it is worth finding good quality equipment but there are many different outlets now which allow you to hunt down the good products for less money.
    Not sure how well gardening gloves would be in a slide down the road but hopefully you'll never have to find out.
    You are absolutely right, this is a clothing section and reviews of your kit is exactly what it should be used for. People can agree or disagree but it is your opinion and will be helpful to some.
    Everyone has their own budget and views on safety equipment so buy what you want, wear what you want but don't diss other people because they aren't doing what you do...........unless it's polite vests, then destroy them with banter :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1