America Gold Again

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Marks, Apr 28, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marks

Marks New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Campbelltown, SA, 5074
    Once again my America is a joy to behold and ride. However why is there not a HUGE warning notice on the tank that the first time you try to fill up the fuel is going to spit back out and get you on the balls. Yes , gold again to Triumph for the silliest fuel tank arangement. I could almost grow whiskers as I slowly fill the tank. Is there a trick to filling the America tank or is everybody else just finally worn down enough by the ignition key placement that they (like the owners of Italian bikes ) just think of it as the charm of the breed when there is a fault.

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #2 capt, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Move your ignition ,! I did , did it within a couple of weeks of purchase !

Campbelltown SA ?? It's illegal to refuel whilst seated on the bike in Australia ...

Two problems solved !

Third - Hold the nozzle on the correct angle , ! Not straight down ! As the arch over the spine of the frame is only two or so inches inside the aperture !! I noticed this the first time I put fuel in ....

3. Marks

Marks New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Campbelltown, SA, 5074
    Ah gawd ! Someone with all the answers. I think you are my wife using another name. Is that you dear?
    First up, if I wanted to buy a bike and immediately start changing things I would have bought a Harley and had a project for life. I like bikes that come with the bells and whistles so I can just RIDE.
    Secondly, I wasnt sitting on the bike as you so wrongly surmised. I was standing next to it.
    Gee capt. you are quick to degrade what was meant to be a humourous post. From now on you are my go to man for any problems. Meanwhile dear, may I have a cup of tea please?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I've got another suggestion , stand back , no need to lean over so Close , the fuel pump stops automatically these days ! Once the tank is full It Will Stop ... !

5. Donnie-boy

Donnie-boy Member

Jan 1, 2022
    Emerald Isle NC
    I LIKE the key where it is. I just leave it in. People do not notice it. I am now quite accoustmed to reaching back, as cool as the Fonz, and giving the key a little twist. I keep another under the seat in the slide-out shelf of the passenger seat in case some prankster thinks it is funny to swipe the key. btw... I ain't Eyetalion. I'ma red blooded murican.

I would love to eliminate the KEY altogetther But, no matter how long I stare at the wiring diagram, I cannot understand what wires need to be switched, so, I let the sleeping dog lie. I HAVE BEEN THINKING... maybe make some kind of knob that looks like a bolt or nut. Then I could push it on head of the REAL key and the knob would be disguised as a nut or bolt. TADA... a switch instead of a key.

I always fill the tank slowly no matter which of the (7) bikes I owned so.. if it is a problem with my America, I am now advised. Hey... HOW ABOUT that absolutely wonderful 5 gallon tank which I have OFTEN ridden 200 miles with still more than a quart (10 miles) left.

I tell ya, the new speedmaster, which I guess repaces the America more or lesss, with the tiny tank and the spoke wheels and the bigger for no-good reason 1200 cc motor and the over-complicated electronics .... not for me. I really wanted to want it, but I've had flats in remote areas and I hate cleaning spokes and I was often NOT TRYING to go 200 miles, but it happened. So, a shiny new speedmaster would have let me down. Plus - even though I do NOT REALLY KNOW how rugged and bullet-proof the new electronic whiz-bangery is, it makes me nervous because too many thigh bones connected to knee bones connectd to ankle bones etc - too many electronic dependencies. I like DIY.

I love my Triumph America. (LT).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marks

Marks New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Campbelltown, SA, 5074
    good on ya Donny

7. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    I can't recall my '02 American ever spitting @ me?
    Just lucky I suppose.

Why would anyone (i.e. the gov't) care if a person fills their motorcycle with gas while sitting on it? No matter, I'm sure we have equally stupid regulations here in the republic.

Is the placement of the ignition that problematic? Donnie-B, where did you place the ignition?

I will register a dislike/compliant/wish it weren't so, about the America. I do at times wish for greater fuel capacity. Without going into the reserves, at 125-135 miles I need to be staring at a gas pump. There are some sections of highway in our western regions where fuel stops are > 150 miles, such as Carlsbad NM - El Paso TX. Granted, I solved the issue by carrying two one gallon gas cans. rather a pain but better than a trek across the desert. I'm sure the same issue can be encountered in Australia, and other locals.

That is about all I have to say for the moment, carry on with your day.