GMU 2017 HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Winglad, Mar 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Dear fellow riders.

We seem to be a family of heartbreakers :confused:
    After my heart went down 2 years ago and threw me off my job, now my dad suffered a heart attack and is in rehab right now.
    I do not know, where this all ends, since he is already 85.

This is why I am asking for your help: I might not be able to have all the time at hand in july for riding up to Kielder and back to Germany.

BUT (!!!!) since I am absolutely obsessed with coming to the GMU, I do think about flying up to
    Glasgow, or Edinborugh and then rent a bike (preferably a Triumph) and come down to the meet.

Now my question: does anyone know a good dealer, or rental in that area? It would be great, if one could reach it from the respective airport with a cab.

Sorry for bothering you guys with this, but I would like to start checking my options as soon as possible.

Thanks and enjoy spring!

Daniel

• Like Like x 3
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Daniel, sorry I can't help you but I'm sure one or more of the Scottish lads will be along soon.

Health issues eh? You can really do without 'em. :(:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Daniel,sorry to hear about your dad,heres hoping he makes a full recovery,re hiring a triumph I've had a quick look and i could only find i website and they hire a tiger 800 http://openroadscotland.com/motorbike-hire-scotland/ I've never heard of them though:confused:, there are a few other companies though, one that can hire any Bmw you want:D:oops: https://rentamotorcycle.co.uk/rental-bike-selection/ or this one based in Edinburgh https://www.saltiremotorcycles.com/motorbike-rental-edinburgh/
    i know some of the bike dealers hire bikes, so it might be worth getting in touch with "Two Wheels" in Edinburgh (Triumph dealer),if they don't hire bikes they might let you have a "road test" of one for a long weekend:cool: (you might have to give them a donation;))

• Like Like x 1
  4. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Hi Daniel
    Your other option might be to fly into Newcastle airport near me
    My son works for Newcastle Triumph and I also know a guy that runs a fly and ride company
    Let me do a little legwork for you and perhaps you could look at flights

• Like Like x 5
  5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Sorry to hear about your dad Daniel. Hope he recovers quickly.
    As to hiring a bike Dougie seems to be on it :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry to hear the news about your father - I hope he makes a full recovery.
    Looks like Dougie is on the case!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Hope it all works out well for your father Daniel , John T sounds like he might be able to work something out for you, so fingers crossed:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Sorry about your dilemma Daniel, I hope your father makes a good recovery and all is well.
    and we meet at Kielder.

• Like Like x 1
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hope all goes well for your father, with the choice of locations you can fly into i'm sure there will be somewhere within 3 hrs ride to hire a bike from

• Like Like x 1
  10. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Guys, I am overwhelmed...
    Thanks so much for the help offered!
    Now I am sure, we work something out.
    I will check flights avaiable and see what the best set up will be.

You're a great lot; we HAVE to make this happen :)

• Like Like x 6
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Thinking of you and yours.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Let's hope you can hire a Triumph - (well anything will do to be honest so long as it's not a B*W) - littleade would be unbearable! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That fact has never bothered littleade!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #13 Winglad, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Thanks for the kind offer Andy.
    Ireland definitely is one of my favorite spots on the map, but in this case, I would not really save much time compared to coming all the way up by bike myself.
    But as you said, it was a last line of defense.

I would prefer touching down in Edinburgh, Glasgow or Newcastle.
    Newcastle is closest, but there are no direct flights from Frankfurt. What a shame. But flying from Düsseldorf could be an option.

Since I still have employees parking in Frankfurt, Edinburgh would be the most comfy solution: no switching planes and the rental is near the airport.
    On the other hand, Newcastle is just 'next' to Kielder.
    I wait, what John finds out about the rental situation there...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Yeah Jez,
    the insurance situation needs my attention as well; you are perfectly right.
    The rental, up in Edinburgh has a 'non British license' surcharge. So at least they are dealing with tourists and are prepared.
    If I did a test ride weekend with a normal dealer, I might end up exactly with this problem!

Luggage: I'll be travelling very light; since I plan to pick up a bike, I try to run this game backpack-only...
    This should pose no problem as long as we are talking Thursday or Friday until Monday. (I wear only one t-shirt and this says: GMU :D

• Like Like x 2
  16. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Youles Triumph in Manchester hire bikes though they are expensive. If you used Manchester airport I would be able to pick you up and take you back to the airport after the GMU. Youles or my house to Bellingham is about 3 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #16 Winglad, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    That sounds good too. Let me check the flights there! :)

Edit: Yes Lufthansa goes direct and much cheaper than EDI!

I have to call Youles about the insurance for aliens :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sorry to hear this buddy, loving all the help offered and that your willing to make such effort to try and make it. Hopes and wishes to you and the old fella, hope he makes a good recovery.

Just looked at the prices, jeeesus, they know how to charge and that insurance excess is a joke. £5k excess on an Indian Scout - bike new is less than £10k !!!

I am sure we would love to lend you a bike, but insuring a bike in the UK, that you don't 'own' is a bit of a nightmare, insurance really don't want to do it, and price accordingly.

Just fly over without a bike, one other is just staying in residency (the pub) !!!

Hope you get sorted, and anything any of us can do to help, just shout.

• Like Like x 2
  19. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sorry to hear of your dad's problems, Winglad. These things are sent to try us!:(
    If it helps A1 Moto in York offer bike hire on their website www.a1moto.com which may be of interest. They are situated on the Hull Road just outside the city walls and within walking distance of the railway station (taxi or even bus would be easier though).
    Local airports include Doncaster Robin Hood, Leeds - Bradford, Humberside (out in the sticks a bit!), Manchester, Teesside, Newcastle and East Midlands. Some even have rail links (Manchester to York is, I believe, a direct service)!
    All you have to do is to get to York.:eek: Easy!!:cool:
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    IMPORTANT UPDATE

After a little conference with Mr. Orange, we found a nice solution that I would like to share with you now:

I will be the (G)TEC ! (German) Twat Emergency Car o_O
    So you can stuff your sandwiches, Teddybears, Nurses, Whiskyflasks etc. with me. I will make up the rear assuring no one gets lost.
    This is a bit disappointing concerning me riding a bike but it also has too many good advantages.
    I save loads of money for the rental bike. Insurance is no problem. I do not have to sit in the aircraft wearing a twatsuit and a small backpack AND I can contribute to the community :)
    It will be like in SOA! (except I won't get a black van, I guess).

So, you don't have to inquire about rental specs anymore (reading the T&C of Saltire made me dizzy).

THANKS EVERYONE for your support!
    My dad gives his regards. I see it in his eyes, he'd love to come too...

Looking forward to a great GMU :p

Daniel

• Like Like x 7
  21. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    sounds good Daniel, Your presents is the most important thing. Be it by car or Bike. (except BMW) :oops::D:D

• Like Like x 3