Give Type Plate On A Standard Rack

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Johnjo, Oct 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    As title, sort of.

I was thinking of fitting a small top box for the odd occasion. I know they look blooming fugly, especially on a bonneville, but my teardrop panniers are tiny. I just want a smallish one, say large enough to take a single helmet, possibly 30L.

Can any one tell me if a givi plate, or similar, will fit onto a standard size triumph rear rack. What concerns me is the raised rear grab rail bit of the rack. Would that get in the way of mounting a topbox ?

I have tried a search but without success.

Thanks JJ

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    We put one on my wife's Bonnie for holidays. A 52 litre one fits no problem, so a small topbox won't be an issue.

France_2016_0906_165009AA.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Perfect, thanks tc.

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I think that www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk have some on offer - at least they did have recently - in their clearance section. Obviously not the best of the best, but I had one similar on my Daytona 955i (28ltr I believe) which lasted for around 10 years and around 10,000 miles which was enough for me.

I've found some piccies!:grinning:

Daytona 955i CE 2002 004.JPG

Daytona 955i CE 2002 005.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just checked .... 28ltr (one helmet) £24.99 with mounting plate.
    Or .... 51ltr (two helmets) £49.99 with mounting plate.
    Okay, not Givi standard but much better than nowt. Certainly good enough for what I needed.

6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Thanks Steve. I just checked out your link myself. They look a decent bit of kit. 10 years use is excellent.
    Now I know a plate will fit on my rack I will carefully consider what size box to get. I'm thinking now something in between the 2 sizes at squaredeals. About 40L could be about right. Thanks for your posting, appreciate it.

Lovely looking 955 in your photos. I used to have a t595 back in the day. Cracking bike but too uncomfortable in the end.

Cheers JJ

• Like Like x 1
  7. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I fitted the Givi adapter plate to the factory chrome rack on my Bonneville.
    You have to be a bit creative with the fitting kit bracket / plates and have to leave plenty of clearance for the vertical grab rail part of the rack, as you anticipate.
    The adapter plate as a result sticks out a bit from the rear of the rack, but it does work.
    In the end I changed my mind as I just didn't want to spoil the lines of the bike with a top box, I plumped for Kreiga soft bags, no use at all for a helmet of course, but they suit the bike better in my opinion!

Curly

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I'm of the same mind Curly. I will probably remove the plate from the bike when not using the topbox. It won't be needed very often, but will come in handy occasionally.

I bought the leather tear drop panniers to retain the original look of the bike. They're not very practical though. They don't hold much and have a tiny opening aperture. I've not used them in a downpour but can't see them keeping much water out. Wished I'd bought something more practical. Another case of the heart ruling the head ( pun intended ).

JJ

• Agree Agree x 1