Getting Your Back End Splashed.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mike2105, Mar 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike2105

Mike2105 New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Rayleigh, Essex
    I’m sure I’m not alone with this. I’ve put the EvoTech tail tidy onto my 19 RS which I love but I daren’t go within a mile of a puddle or the whole back end of the bike gets a soaking. The rear cowl gets covered in muddy water even after just one small puddle
    I’m guessing the only resolution for this bike is a better rear hugger (mine is still stock). Any suggestions on tried and proven methods to stay dry?!!

2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    With a title called “getting your back end splashed” I was a little concerned clicking on this thread. Ok, I was pretty interested and hoping to maybe see a video, or a least some photos. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have one on my Speed Triple, uses high bond tape to attach to the number plate, I also used a couple of 5mm screws to properly secue it

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    So no videos then?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Why I don't do tail tidies any more!

6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi, Mike. I, too, have a 2019 Speed RS fitted with an EcoTech tail tidy. I never seem to have this problem. But then, I live in Arizona. So my one and only suggestion is to move to the desert where most of the year it only rains in our dreams. But that's probably not the most feasible--or inexpensive--option. I do hope you find a solution!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    that's why my Bonney has full guards ,and my Deauville has an extension on the front Gard . you dont get every thing on you ,and on the motor

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Fine then, I’ll stop with the funnies. I have the same tail tidy but don’t ride in the rain, if I can help it. I have been caught out in the rain twice I think, but the whole bike was a mess not just my backend. If you plan on wet rides, sorry I couldn’t help that one, then maybe the oem tail might serve you best. There might be other options, but I’m not aware of them. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    It seems to me that you’re in need of more exciting dreams Sandi :joy:.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
  11. Mike2105

Mike2105 New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Rayleigh, Essex
    Great ideas here - I particularly like the thought of moving to the more arid parts of the US!!
    I don’t ride in the rain if I can help it either - in fact it wasn’t raining when I went out. It was sunny and dry but being early March, there were still damp patches and the odd puddle around. Which I managed to find!!
    I might look at the things that attaches to the license plate for when I go on tour - as I have found myself in long down pours then.
    i am more interested really in whether anyone has changed the hugger for a more effective one?......

12. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
  13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Very much so

I used it on my 2016 Speed Triple and now on my 2010 Speed Triple
    Catches all the spray from the back wheel

• Like Like x 2
  14. Abirnie

Abirnie Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Not my bike BTW. Stole it from the interwebs

95F05117-5E3B-4C46-A869-522DF5791B63.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I got this. Works a treat!
    https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/coll...iple-1050-r-hugger-extension-matte-black-2011
    Don't worry about the year, I've also got an rs and it fits perfectly.

• Useful Useful x 4
  16. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    i try to avoid the wet stuff ,but i'd rather get splattered than have the standard monstrosity on the back of my bike o_O

17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Mike, CarbonFBR based in Scotland do an extended rear hugger in either plain or twill, its quality kit and stops the problem you describe.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. Triologist

Triologist New Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Torbay
    That’s good to know, I’ve got a 2018 RS and recently fitted an Evotech tail tidy too. Took me a while to decide but definitely looks better (not someone who always reckons that’s so). Have to say I think the dirty rear end issue was nearly as bad with the original tail - far worse than a Street 675 I had before. I’ll have to give the hugger extension a go - I did try the Fenda Extenda from pyramid to stop the front end mess but those for earlier models don’t fit the RS.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I put the fenda extenda on and like you say, fit isn’t perfect in any way but it certainly does the job and its better than nothing!
    I did a mod on the evotech tail that stops water getting in the gap and it only costs £3. No rain in the seat assy at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1