Getting To Grips

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Setchy, Sep 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Setchy

Setchy Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Sheffield
    I have a new watercooled bonnie 2017 T100. I quite fancy a pair of these gel grips as I suffer a bit with old (worked to death) hands and they get a bit numb on longer rides. I have never changed grips before and would like to know how to do it. especially with the ride by wire throttle..
    If anyone can give me some pointers then I would appreciate it.
    I will have to measure the bars but I am assuming having looked at the forum threads they are 1" dia.

All help appreciated from the wise ones.

2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Before you do that have you considered cramp busters? My hands go numb on longer trips due to many years of using hand held impact machinery. Simple, cheap cramp busters have made an enormous difference. For the sake of a tenner I would give them a go first

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    If however you wish to go with replacement grips. The fly by wire throttle will consist of a cartridge (potentiometer) which I assume will have a locating lug for the handlebar & a lug for the grip location. The outer body of the cartridge will remain fixed on the bar whilst the inner will rotate with the grip sending electrical signal in Mv to the engine control unit. I would assume that this component would remain as one piece if you were to remove the grip. I stand to be corrected :eek:

4. Setchy

Setchy Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Sheffield
    Thanks I will try the cramp busters first worth a go..

5. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    If you do opt for cramp busters, I removed Bar end mirrors (Allen key type bolt - just loosen a turn & slide off) ensure that pre heat plastic loop ( I emerged in v hot water) ends prior to opening up in order to slide over grip, otherwise there is a risk of snapping plastic.

• Useful Useful x 1