Getting The Revs Down...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gleekzorp, Jun 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gleekzorp

Gleekzorp New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    The Far East (of Holland)
    Hi all,

My 2018 Tiger 800 XCx is revving 5000 rpm @ 70 mph (6th gear). Most of my daily commute is around 70 mph and I find 5K revs just a bit too much. Is there a way to calculate what sprockets I need (front / rear) to get that 70 mph at 4000-4500-ish revs?

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gleekzorp.
    I am sure you will have one of the more intelligent inmates along soon to help out. Myself I would try one bigger toot to the drive sprocket.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gleekzorp

Gleekzorp New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    The Far East (of Holland)
    Ah, I just found out about www.gearingcommander.com; the user interface is a bit outdated, but it does give you an awesome lot of information on sprocket sizes, wheel sizes, rpms and speeds.

Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gleekzorp.
    Now you are rocking. Go for it. Me I need a translator for that stuff. I am surprised some of the wiser more brainy peeps have not come aboard yet. Maybe having their meds late tonight.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The hidden point is do you have the horsepower or more importantly the torque, at those revs, to pull these gear ratios?
    Don't forget wind, incline, load, pillions etc.

If you know the final drive ratio ( front and rear sprockets) plus the primary drive ratio ( crank sprocket to clutch basket) plus the 6th gear ratio then it's a straightforward calculation :grinning:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    One tooth higher front sprocket never mind using calculation bumph,buy a good qaulity sprocket don’t go for cheap tat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have used gearcommander.com
    Changer the front sprocket down 1 and the rear up 2
    The pull away is awesome at the sacrafice of top speed, I never go near the high end anyway and prefer the smoother get away
    If I was commuting on motorways I would have gone the other way and up 1 front and down 1 rear

Looking at the chain to sprocket ratio wear, the same chain link going over the same tooth is so low that hopefully wear is greatly reduced too