Gel Seat Pad User Review

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Rich Bryce, Oct 18, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Bought and tried this gel seat pad off ebay described as 'motorcycle seat gel pad gelpad gel cushion with 3d air flow by I-Tec industries'. Bought medium size to fit Bonneville solo seat. Not cheap and not up to the job. Given it a few rides. No probs on really short spins but left me with chronic @rse ache on my sit bones on a longer motorway journey. Removed it after 40 motorway miles on latest trip and rode next 40 in less dis-comfort. It is claimed to spread the load, but it can only spread as far as the outside of the unit where it creates a pressure point. In fact I have less dis-comfort when I wear padded cycling shorts, which of course are designed for a different style of seat. A seat with better overall foam is next on my buy list.
    [​IMG]

2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Thunderbirds seat is ok

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'm looking into a company that does gel re-upholstery will post reports when I find one!!

4. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I think gel is overrated...

I had a gel pad (like the OP) I bought for my GS. It was crap. I then had a gel pad built into the seat by a local firm. That was also crap. I eventually bought a Sargent seat which was brilliant.

I had the gel seat on my Tiger. It was crap. I had the gel seat on my America it was crap.

The seat on my year old Thunderbird is excellent though and far as I know it's just different foam densities and ergonomic shape and that's the problem as I see it. The shape is all important but to make a comfortable seat it needs to be a shape that will probably not enhance the look!

The top seat manufacturers like Corbin and Sargent don't use gel for a reason.

The Sargent seat didn't use gel.

If you can't afford a Corbin (or the like) I'd recommend an Airhawk or similar. I used one on my America and although it wasn't perfect it did a pretty reasonable job of keeping the bum-ache at bay for quite a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    paracetamol.lol take enough and you dont feel the pain

just had my seat done by a pro........ no, not one of them, tho tbh they may have done a better job .
    think it was better with my great wedge of foam rubber atop of the original seat.

6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Gel was not invented as a 'cushion' but rather for implants, so although it has been used extensively by seat upgraders it may just be modern snake oil. From what I've read, well designed seats using various densities of quality foam seem the best option. I'm going to give the OEM solo seat a few more miles before I try something different, but def looking at foam options.