Gear indicators

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Kev, Aug 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kev

Kev Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I find it frustrating not remembering what gear im in, i thought about gear indicator and retro fit to my 2012 speedy, however i think it would look bulky. So then i had the thought of using the rev limiter LEDs to come on at each gear selection, anyone done this or any idea how this would be done?

2. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    Awesome idea Kev, I will definitely look into this.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I had a gear indicator retro fitted to my fireblade and thought about putting one on my speed but I thought it might look too bulky if you could use the rev limiter lights that would be awesome

4. Kev

Kev Member

Aug 14, 2014
    should have patented the idea before posting :(

if you manage to do it, a 'how to' would be great

5. Robin Sanderson

Robin Sanderson Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Peterborough
    I'm sure a nice small one could be 'Frenched' into the plastic housing above the speedo that forms part of the fly screen?
    Messing with those blue lights sounds like committing ECU suicide as I'm sure they'll be linked to the rpm sensor thingy!!!

6. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    I may need an electrician o_O

7. S3R

S3R Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I've done that as have others...

8. Kev

Kev Member

Aug 14, 2014
    you are possibly right, first auto electrician company refused to touch it...
    might try the moulding to housing.. ah well, good idea while it lasted.

9. S3R

S3R Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Here's my HealTech GIpro indicator install...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kev

Kev Member

Aug 14, 2014
    How was the wiring? simple?

11. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    I've been told that ABS Speed's can't have an indicator - Can someone tell me different?

12. S3R

S3R Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Wrong!...the wheel speed sensor for the gear indicator mounts using the same brackedt as the ABS speed sensor.

The GIpro wires up easily if you are an electrician and/or have knowledge of motorcycle electrical systems...I had the dealer do the electrical portion of mine, while I installed the readout in my dash.

Install instructions for Speed Triple with ABS..

http://healtech-electronics.com/docs/GPX_WSS_InstallGuide_en.pdf

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-tri...-indicator-gipro-for-2011-461332-w-abs-2.html

13. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Cool - thanks

14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Ah kev, can't remember what gear your in....it's a sign, your getting older mate. Three things happen to you as you get older. One, you forget things. Two, .........oh I can't remember the other two........

• Like Like x 1
  15. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    I did miss a gear indicator when I first got my Speed, but once I got used to the sounds and feel I don't need one... if its screaming change up - if its burbling really really low change down - simples! :cool:

16. S3R

S3R Member

Jan 13, 2015
    #16 S3R, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    When on a sporty ride through the twisties, I find it quite useful when approaching a tight corner at speed to be able to see what gear I'm in at a glance before executing a series of downshifts...rather than to try to remember what gear the bike is in as I'm sizing up the corner...