Featured GB500tt

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by TonyG, Dec 20, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love his bike. I've owned it for over 15 years, lightly restored it the year I bought it, polished the cases, replaced the swing arm bearings, cush rubbers, shocks, chain and sprockets etc. Still on the original paint. Change the oil and check the tappets every year. It is lovely to ride.

Cheers

027.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks,
    Motor is the same as the XBR but the bodywork and cycle parts are different. I think Honda intended it as a tribute to the singles that raced at the IOM.

3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Yep, the dreaded loaning out of the bike, had many an anxious wait in the past.

The GB is certainly not powerful, but still goes well for a 1985 single, surprisingly revvy. I think Classic bike did a test with one and some old Brit singles. It may have been the quickest of the bunch, but because it didn't vibrate and had the hideous stock silencer it didn't feel it and lacked 'character'.

4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I'd have one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Great looking bike and going up in value :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Lovely bikes. There's also a gb400tt version with the classic style fairing similar to the thruxton r and the bmw r9 racer . Very cool.

7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I was reading a write up about the 500 a couple of months ago in classic motorcycle mechanics magazine and it was very good reading.

Strange that it was never officially imported to here in the U.K. as they went to the USA and Germany of all the places and the look and understanding never took off over there.
    They should have sent them here in the first place as it was to replicate our bikes we had here!

• Like Like x 1
  8. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Several for sale stateside for between $6,000 and $8,000USD and some are very low mile bikes. Most tempting and I wager it kicks over a tad more reliably than the Goldies I used to own....Lucas Electrics, the Price of Darkness :). Must admit I am a bit tempted as I love riding the thumpers.

• Like Like x 2