Gasless Mig Welder

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dilligaf, Mar 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Anyone got a gas less mig welder and if so are they any good :confused:
    Thinking about getting one as they’re not as expensive as I thought they would be :)
    It would help me a lot if I had my own at home :cool:
    But I know very little about them and the one I get to use at work is three phase and has a gas feed on it :confused:
    Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Dilligaf

• Like Like x 1
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I had one Dilli was gas and gas less , was an older model but being honest the gas less weld wasn't great, far more acceptable with the gas much better looking weld all together. A lot of them work both ways

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Gasless wire is a damty sight dearer too. Mine also does both, but it's a lot better weld with argon, or argon CO2 mix.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think they use a different wire which is slightly more expensive but a mate had one with good results as far as I remember

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Feck we're all bored two posts while I wrote mine :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep believe they use a flux cored type wire, more expensive as you say,
    PS On another note the stuff at your works is different,:mad: so you wont be able to borrow some Dilli ;););)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    One advantage you can weld in the wind

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Agree with the comments, with gas is better and as everything else you need to do your home work on each item cheaper is not always good most will be made in china no matter what label is stuck on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’m having a good think about work while I’m stuck at home and thinking about what I’m gonna do :confused:
    When this is all over I will go back to work but how long for :confused:
    Be nice to have a welder at home then I don’t need the one at work :grinning:

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I have one as well, both gas and gasless. Whenever I use it I use it gasless, with fluxed wire.

I find it works well on heavier gauge metal but using it with gas and the thinner wire is better on thin gauge metal, such as car bodywork.

Mine, like virtually all of the d i y ones is single phase and will run off a 13amp socket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I have one as well, both gas and gasless. Whenever I use it I use it gasless, with fluxed wire.

I find it works well on heavier gauge metal but using it with gas and the thinner wire is better on thin gauge metal, such as car bodywork.

Mine, like virtually all of the d i y ones is single phase and will run off a 13amp socket.

• Like Like x 2
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve got a dual use one that I got off eBay for £25, an old SIP one.
    I’ve only used it gasless as yet and it’s been great for the bits I’ve used it for.
    I’m hoping to modify my little box trailer at some point to allow bike transportation so may get some gas and try it with that (got a small bottle and regulator with it:grinning:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Why would you want to do that? :D
    Ken.

14. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    #14 Tigcraft, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    I weld every week as it’s part of my job and only ever heard dissatisfied comments about gasless. I use a thirty year old snap on mini mig 180 which is single phase and made by cebora, I use co2 which I get without a contract from my local wines and spirits cash and carry. The bottle is like a pub bottle but twice as thick and lasts me ages. I run .8 wire mild steel copper coated which does .9mm sheet steel vehicle grade up to 10mm steel plate. Keep away from .6 wire as it just coils up all the time!! 1mm wire can be too thick for delicate work but it’s by far the cheapest to buy.
    I also have a Thermal Arc ac/dc 202 amp Tig for other type of work and that. Runs on pure argon at a bloody great eye watering price from boc.
    Best and it really is good Forum to find everything welding is the

Www.mig-welding.co.uk there’s welding guides to all metals, all processes all welding machines

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Either he ‘has’ wind...
    Or works outdoors

16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    What if you had to err because it was windy :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    To just add to that...It used to be easy peasy to get an empty bottle of oxy, acetylene or even Argon changed at a scrap yard or small fab shop...not anymore. The gas companies have gas police.
    Co2 okay, but Argon for best welds.
    Ken.
    PS. Learn to TIG weld Dilli.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    I don’t think anyone that had to work outdoors would consider one a those more than a toy. :rolleyes:
    Ken.

19. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    I looked into when buying a mig set cos it sounds a good idea, but when I factored in the costs of gasless wire and possibly questionable weld quality I went for the conventional gas mig welding set up.
    For the gas I used CO2 and swapped the bottles at the local pub

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have one....run out of Co2;) but you can just use different wire IE coated/cored in a normal mig been meaning to buy some but haven't needed to do any welding for a year and can always use the arc if i do.:)

• Like Like x 1