Garmin Base Camp

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Chris Wise, Jun 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    #1 Chris Wise, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Is Garmin Base Camp for real .

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Use Basecamp without any real problem, but I have been using it for a while now.

3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    There are a few video tutorials on the Garmin website for basecamp. Once I watched a couple, using Basecamp seemed quite easy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I use basecamp all the time without problems. I also have Tom Tom in my car and I hate it. I guess it is what you get used too :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TonyP

TonyP New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    Peterborough
    I agree it’s often counter intuitive and somewhat ‘clunky’ to use. However I’ve been using it for years now and pretty well used to it.

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Base camp is utter sh*te. :mad::mad:
    I use a Garmin satnav but plan trips with myroute.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    :neutral::neutral:

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Google maps is even better! :cool:

9. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    MyRoute App, the best route planner out there. So easy compared to Basecamp.

10. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Just out of curiosity, I tried Whitby to Spilsby as a route in basecamp and it came up with a more or less direct route of 120 miles...
    Might be the settings or possibly a rogue waypoint to go the route you describe?
    It does take a bit of getting used to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Yes I agree, I’ve been using Garmin Basecamp for around 5 years and it’s crap. My old Tom Tom was far more intuitive to use and My Route App is very easy to follow.

12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Each to their own, whatever you find easiest I guess, I've been using Bascamp for several years and Mapsource before that, never had any problems. Had a brief look at MyRoute App and thought it was crap. :joy:
    I've pre-planned our European tours (usually about 3k miles each year) for over 15years on Mapsource / Basecamp without a problem so they can't be that shit. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TonyP

TonyP New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    Peterborough
    Agreed.
    You have to make sure the settings are correct of course.

14. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    OMG...base camp is my nightmare!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I’m sure Basecamp is a competent piece of software but it’s just not intuitive enough to learn how to use it. Software that is only used sporadically should be quick to master, and Basecamp isn’t.

I liken it to desktop GIS, MapInfo vs ESRI. Both are very good GIS systems, I’m guessing ESRI is the market leader but in terms of ease of use MapInfo is streets ahead.

16. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Bloody Base Camp .Was is designed by a 3 year old retard My setting are all correct on the Base Camp .Tried again to do a route around Scotland and it went all over the place even loop the loop at one point . I finally sorted Base Camp out and now everything is great I pressed the delete button on my computer and Base Camp is no more I just press it my next destination on the sat nav and let the sat nav find it's own way Good riddance to that heap of crap If that is the best Garmin can do then my next sat nav is going to be a Tom Tom and MY Routes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confounded::confounded::confounded::confounded::mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    :laughing::joy::joy:
    Do I detect a hint of frustration?
    So BaseCamp is a bit too technical for you, doesn't mean the program is at fault (perhaps needs a "Not suitable for children under 3 years" ;))
    There's over 300 routes below that I've created on BaseCamp or it's predecessor MapSource over the past 20 years.
    It's got me exactly where I wanted by the route I wanted (nearly always).
    upload_2020-7-6_21-51-48.png

As I said before, each to their own - don't take it so personally!
    Have fun with your MyRoute app, it is possible to use it with Garmin satnav's BTW.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Am I the only person that can not get Base Camp to work .I have watched loads of videos and followed them step by step but I am dammed if I can get Base Camp to work For instant I put in Spilsby to Alford a journey of 10 miles but if I followed Base Camp instruction it took me via Horncastle and Louth a journey of about 25 miles .Why can I not get Base Camp to work or am I the dumbest person there .I have set it all up has the video's tell me with the right maps etc but I just have no luck is it me or is Base Camp just to complicated

19. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    What type of "activity" are you choosing when you create a route ?
    Are you using waypoints ?

20. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    My Route App for me. You can save in any format and export to any device. Our club has a Gold subscription so we can all use it.