Garage security

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bodger, Feb 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    After having my garage broken into
    Christmas , scumbags failing to get my bikes ( only because they're chained to the floor and their bolt cutters weren't good enough ) then vandalised the clocks on both bikes
    I decided to try and update the security on my crappy metal doors with 19mm u bolts before I bring my triumph thruxton back to my garage. 20170222_120159.jpg 20170222_120316.jpg 20170222_120325.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Might do the other 2 corners yet.
    Pain in the arse to get into the garage
    But if it puts them off its worth it!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep you can but try, maybe add a passive or contact alarm inside also with an added external siren if possible

4. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Yes i think you're both right there. But i've still got to invest in some electric into the
    garage to fit the security lights. Its about 100ft away at the bottom of the garden.:(
    But it will be cheaper in the long run.. as i've nearly found out..

5. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Ok Dozers Dad thanks for the info. I'll take a gander on ebay.

6. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    1byone Security Driveway Garage Motion Intruder Wireless Alarm System + Adapter
    Check this sort of thing out on ebay....
    I have one on my garage & it drives everyone nuts in the house when someone goes in the garage & forgets to turn it off beforehand...
    Cheap & food for thought. Range is about the distance from your house in a straight line. even if you only operated it at night, it might help.

7. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Enfield 100% Genuine Original Garage Door Bolts Lock One PAIR MK5 New 2016 Model
    Or try these if you can fix them....On ebay too

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    I know it sounds strange but too much visible security can make thieves suspicious, so hidden security i;e PIR alarms inside are better IMO. The PIR sensor in case of the 1byone bit of kit is battery fitted 3xAAA`s & can be almost hidden with just the sensor showing so the scumbags, sorry angels can`t see it until long after they have triggered it.

9. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  10. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ I get your point there. However with a large enough storage battery??
    Oh what the hell, let's think outside the box. Run power to the shed that is switched at the house. Then buy some capacitors, wire in series and connect to metal door. Results should be memorable for the miscreants.
    When I lived in rural NH we had a problem with raccoons getting into trash cans. Set cans on a charged metal bed frame, you sometimes could smell the fur burning. Damn those things and skunks, what a nuisance.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    A sleeping bag for during the winter? Gotta be cheapest all round surely.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Your security is obviously only as strong as the weakest point. If those ulocks have the round type of key they are very easy to open with the plastic barrel of a cheap ball point pen. And a lot of ulocks can be forced with a scissor jack, so minimise the leverage gap. The more locks, the more time it will take to break in, the less likely they will try. Motion detector lights are a good deterrent for sure, apart from anything else they enable the scumbags to see how hard it's gonna be to break in. Try hanging tin cans (or a spare metal dustbin lid) from the locks on the inside so the wind won't rattle them, but any attempt to move the locks will do.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bodger

Bodger Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Solihull, West Midlands
    Ok lads thanks for the help and the pisstaking :D ( sure we had 1 sunny day last August)
    However the tossers do know the bikes are there now as they've had 1 attempt to steal
    them already so i think the more visible security in my case the better.:).
    I do appreciate all the comments by the way.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Fwiw, chairman of our MC is in Police Intelligence (no piss taking, he's a good lad, okay, mild piss taking acceptable) and he agrees, lots of visible strong security and cctv cameras (even good quality fake ones) are your best bet to deter them from even trying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Yeah, all old feckers with dodgy knees, hips and bikes. When the nice evenings come in you'll have to pop over Jez. We can get 200 bikes there of a really nice night. Better still, we'll meet you over your way and we can ride round the back lanes to the club house for curry 'n IPA. I'm organising a Triumph night too. Anyway, we gotta get over to your greasy spoon van before then. We can discus the fascinating subject of bike security and swap pictures of chains and locks in more detail there.

• Like Like x 2
  16. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    After years riding off road and seeing many friends and racing buddies getting their bikes nicked with worrying regularity and police incompetence, I invested in a decent shed with decent security. Concrete shed with a steel door and decent lock, 2 security lights, and the loudest alarm I've ever heard (even when I test it, it scares the crap out of me!). Lots of internal security to slow them down as much as possible.

With keys for everything and obviously having the alarm disabled it takes me at least 6 minutes to get the easiest of my bikes out of the shed, through the garden and on to the road. I would think that even the bravest, most experienced scum bag would take much longer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Let's be fair, it's rarely an incompetent police officer who has caused a bike to be left poorly secured - it's not like there's a copper stationed to keep an eye on every bike.

• Like Like x 3
  18. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Maybe incompetence isn't the correct term. Maybe "couldn't give a shit" would be more apt. Maybe if they occasionally did something other than extort money from road users they might find time to deal with the crime that affects us on a daily basis. A friend told me yesterday that his father in law disturbed some scum trying to nick his (friends) KTM super moto from a locked shed in his garden. They ran off. Bike has been extensively damaged in the process. He didn't even bother reporting it because this isn't the first time he's had bikes stolen and the police don't even bother showing up. Never a shortage of them pointing cameras at us though. The generally law abiding majority are the target of the police - easy convictions for trivia and a nice revenue stream. Tackling the crime that the tax paying majority have to suffer, from where I'm sitting is generally ignored. I have known hundreds of people that have been victims of motorcycle theft and the police do nothing.
    Maybe they don't have the resources, I don't know, but what I do know is that I'm far from happy with how the police in Scotland choose to ignore everything to do with bike crime unless some little fuckwit dies after crashing a nicked bike.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #19 Rich Bryce, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    It's not that the Police do nothing as a matter of principle, but it's all a question of priorities. I'll admit to a vested interest here. My daughter is a DC in the local force's Child and Vulnerable Adult Investigation Team (aka Safeguarding), and the chairman of our MC is a biking copper (and I know other biker-rozzers and ex-rozzers). We've had this discussion over a pint more than once. Budgets are not unlimited. Police priorities are 1) Child and vulnerable adult abuse 2) House invasion 3) other crimes. Take a poll of the non-biking public and that's what they'd vote for. When it comes to other crimes resources generally get directed where there is a better than average chance of finding the criminal. Vehicle theft is way down the priority order simply because the chances of finding the bike and scumbags after the event are very slim. Very rarely is there good forensics at the scene. Very rarely are the professional gangs of bike thieves known to the police. So if you leave your bike insecure and without a tracker and without parts etched when you know bike theft is prevalent, does anyone seriously think the police can do anything about it. If your bike is a popular one likely to be broken down for parts, keep an eye on ebay for likely re-sellers. If it's one likely to be going abroad then have a tracker fitted that alerts your phone as soon as it's disturbed. If it's in a shed, then secure the shed.

If your mate's mate's bike was damaged and he didn't report it then that sounds irresponsible to me because he'd need a police crime number for the insurance assuming it was covered. And if he's had bikes stolen from a shed or garage and the police didn't come to do a scene of crime report within a day or two for the theft of an expensive item, let alone never, then he should make an official complaint.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bentango

bentango New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    belfast
    As well as the usual security i have a baby alarm / listening device. All you need is to have mains power.

Mo.

• Like Like x 2