Garage Heater

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Jan 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #1 Havit, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    I don't know about some of you lot, but the time I want to strip bits on the bike and do maintenance is during the winter months when the bikes are not in use as much. Some are lucky to have bikes in heated garages others have garages with no heating away from the house like myself. It sometimes puts me off going over to do work in the cold, so I decided to do something about it.
    I just brought a diesel heater off wish, yeah I know, it's Chinese and I'll be scratching my head for hours trying to get my head around if the instructions are for the heater or for my next take away meal . But I took a chance,
    Well it arrived quickly. Normally anything ordered from wish arrives after you forgot you ordered it.
    It took me a while to work out how to prime it , apparently it was between what I think was egg fried rice and chow mein on the menu. But I'm in business, and wow it really works well.
    For anyone who don't know what I ordered , it's made for caravans and camper vans when the engine isn't running .all you need is a 12 volt battery and away you go, I have just put mine on a work bench to try it out but I need to put the exhaust pipe outside or leave the door open and have the blower facing in .
    It smoked bad when I first started it but then once it burned off, its clear as day. I'm well happy with it IMG_20210131_143446.jpg
    Screenshot_20210131-160652.png

• Like Like x 11
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    How much ?
    How hot ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What’s the MPG?:)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Free Prawn Crackers?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Do you deliver?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    and onions?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    No mate only chicken and beef no liver :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Heats up to 35c and the blower is quite strong so you feel the heat straight away . Cost depends on size mine is 8kw which is plenty powerful enough to take the cold out of the garage,I paid around 140 quid with delivery inc. it's very economical on diesel too hardly used any .

• Like Like x 4
  9. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Should be able to run it on red diesel too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #10 TEZ 217, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    I agree and there's normally loads of that about in Havit's type of work (well there was at council) unsure about now, but hell he's not daft already well ahead of us on that one I reckon.

Point of note last garage I worked at we used contaminated fuel in the diesel heater at the boss's request, had the ability to destroy them in time though.
    (Contaminated by petrol, customers filling up with wrong fuel pump at garage we used to recover vehicle and drain fuel etc. )

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    He's been smuggling diesel home in his socks for years, wrings em out when he gets home, thinks no one knows.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    One of my sons worked at a refinery for a year while he was at university. One geezer accidentally pumped several thousand litres of diesel into a silo containing petrol. I don't suppose he was very popular.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You are going soft Wayne. All that working in doors

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    There's method in the madness dad,
    The cold air won't want to come in , it will be too warm in there , paddy told me .

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    You should ask @Tigcraft about garage heating. Show him your tubes, Eric (ooer!)

17. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    For some reason I can’t post a vid from my phone as it’s not let me view vids. @Havit ive fitted that unit what you’ve just got as an overhead Hot air central heater. Just made a little chimney pot for it! C469DE1F-88F1-45C8-BEAD-61B795AF4793.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  18. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    I tried using a gas powered blower a few years ago. Immensely powerful and struggled to turn it down enough once the workshop had warmed up, but the real problem was condensation. When gas (or diesel) burns it creates a lot of water vapour and that condenses on every cold (metal) surface so by the time the workshop was warm, the bikes and machinery were simply dripping.

In the end I switched to an industrial electric fan heater. Much less effective, but doesn't cause the condensation problems.

Only real solution is to keep it heated all the time. I wish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I haven't noticed that yet, it was bloody cold in there when it wasn't on, I know that .

20. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    These Chinese heaters run moist free as they’ve got an external exhaust which leaves the vessel. So as well as damp free they are also fume free too. The following For these is MASSIVE and it blew my brains out that there’s so many chat sites about them.