Featured Garage Find Bonneville

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by KEVIN J GALLAGHER, Sep 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KEVIN J GALLAGHER

KEVIN J GALLAGHER Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    BELLMORE NY
    built 9/2001 (5808miles) runs good, needs work for sure. tire dates (11 01) front (14 01) rear - a survivor, no mods

Bonne_date.jpg

LTsideBONNE.jpg

rear_tire.jpg

Bonne_tank.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  2. KEVIN J GALLAGHER

Sep 16, 2020
    BELLMORE NY
    tires need to be replaced, wow

3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Welcome ! Got a 2002 I plucked out of a garage a few years back as well. It had been sitting for a few years according to the owner. I have rode that thing all over. No problems. These old carburetted twins are bullet proof. Done a lot of
    upgrades to mine. I spent so little for it. Why not ? ...J.D.
    Triumph Risers.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  4. KEVIN J GALLAGHER

Sep 16, 2020
    BELLMORE NY
    hello maybe you can help me locate parts when i need them, they seem to be limited.
    thanks for replying. ill have to start with the tires since they are 19 years old! lol

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    That's an early 790cc America.
    Nearly all Bonneville parts 790/865 will fit the motor ! Most of the running gear is generic too ! Back wheel , seat and fuel tank are only common to Speedmaster or America. Buy second hand parts off eBay , Triumph Bonneville variants , buy the cheapest , don't understand why Thruxton parts are dearest , but they are all comen ... IE interchangeable ... Carburettors only variances is jetting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I'd be glad to help where ever I can. Post your questions on the America thread. In short there was an early and late air cooled America/Speedmaster. Americas and.Speedmasters are quite similar. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Just said that above

8. BA_martin

BA_martin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Chestfield, Kent
    The early bikes (I've had 5 now) have a fatal flaw, whereby if they kick back during starting will split the idle gear boss. Make sure you install a TPP Safe Start, a bit of prevention now could save you the cost of a replacement engine!

I know from personal experience that there are a lot more America's (and the used parts network much better) in the US than UK and the on-line guys like Bike Bandit can usually supply anything you want from stock.

Two of my previous bikes are now own by a friend in NJ (I only bought my 2001 back from Boston last Dec) so I know there are several bikes within riding distance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Wow! Great find on a nice-looking bike.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    No suprise there are more America's found in the U.S. than elswhere.They were conceived for the U.S. market, although they were sold all over. Kevin made me think to check mine. Although it is registered as a 2002 model, it is tagged "10/1" on the steering head. Interesting bikes seeing the factory went up in smoke in early 2002 , these two America's had to have been in the pipeline or sold before the fire. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2