Further proof (if needed) that Guy Martin is a "lad"

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by steve lovatt, Dec 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    "Well it’s not gone quite to plan.

"I've cycled over 11,000 miles this year, including the Tour Divide in America, to and from work most days and I spent three weeks in China in October, back for a few days at work, straight to New Zealand for ten days racing motorbikes, back for a few days at work and then off.

15493251_10154376016109023_5453223343354391898_o.jpg
    "I badly pulled my Achilles tendon on the left side after a day or so but thought I'd just get my head down and work through it. I kept good miles up and got to John O’Groats from Grimsby in 4 days and 8 hours, about 800 miles. But my leg was getting worse and I thought I could keep going and maybe do the whole lot in 30 days but I knew I'd be jiggered for a long time after and maybe even have serious long term damage, which would mean I couldn’t do the serious cycle trip I've got in my head for next year.

So I've put my push bike back in the shed for the rest of the year, giving my leg a chance to recover. I'm back at work and I realise I need to listen to my body more. By just manning up I was papering over the cracks. Thanks very much for the support, loads of folk wishing me well and that was mega.

• Like Like x 5
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    He's a lad isn't he ? Fantastic character in my book. Sucking the marrow out of life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I like the fact that his idea of "working through it" was to cycle from Grimsby to John O' Groats!
    What would a premiership footballers idea of that be I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I am reading his book 'Catching Worms'
    He is an amazing chap and very humble. I love his writing style.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I like him and have read his books but apparently he can be a bit of a prima donna at times. A pal told the tale of seeing him in van at a set of traffic lights somewhere. My pal pulls up alongside on his bike and casually looking to his left recognises Guy and gives him the thumbs up, nothing more, at which Guy apparently mouths the words "why don't you f&@k off".

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well I guess it shows he's human!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    My mate was at Olivers Mount road racing and had the same thing. Guy wasn't interested in talking to his fans or spectators choosing to ignore them or hide away. At the same time we had NOTE multiple TT winner Ian Hutchinson who spent a lot of times chatting, signing autographs and posing for pictures. Totally down to earth and openly excited to talk bikes amongst us mere mortals.

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    He does address this in his book that he doesn't like publicity and ideally does stuff where he won't be recognised, like riding the Great Divide challenge in America where he is relatively unknown
    He did agree to do some trail event on the condition that his name is not mentioned or used to promote the event. The organised plastered it on the internet that Guy was going to be there so he didn't turn up.

I think his priorities are: Family, working on trucks, motorbikes and then not being made a fuss of or recognised and not being a "TV Wanker"

• Like Like x 4
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

For someone on the autistic spectrum, he does bloody brilliantly. So to Slag him off for something which is outside his control is a bit off. IMHO.

He was on the same ferry as us, back from nw200 a couple of years ago, had a bad off in the second race and couldn't ride the rest of the day. My mate saw him in the bar, got a selfie and a handshake.

So even when he is rightly Pissed of, can still be bothered, sometimes.

Think I would feel the same, if everyone came up acting like they knew me. But I freely admit to not liking people. :D;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Hobbling to the physiotherapist's or more likely in a wheel chair.
    Bunch of pansy's

• Like Like x 1
  11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    He has Aspergers Syndrome, I know it can cause problems, last January I was verbally assaulted by Sue Bo whilst we were both visiting the hospital out patients, I didn't even start the conversation, (long story) but went totally bonkers so I can well believe the later stories of her at the airport etc, and about Guy.
    Now on the other hand one of the nicest on the circuit is Chris Walker, bumped into him several times in his 'own time', he used to often be with his mate Hodgson too, both top blokes!

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

• Like Like x 2
  14. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Story in the Mail today says he's just bought the village pub!
    The village has lost the butcher's post office etc, and the pub was in danger of closing so he bought it, his sister will run it with Guy putting events on once a months, like running up his Merlin engine!
    Bet the locals will love that!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mark80

Mark80 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Masham
    Excellent, might have to pop over and take a look at some point

16. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    May be a great place for a Forum meeting. If it is - count me and I bet many others in.

17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
  18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I know I'm an old fart, but f***ing hell that looks fast and super dangerous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

To be honest I couldnt keep up with the conversation

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1