Fuel Tank Leak

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joe Crisp, Sep 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe Crisp

Joe Crisp New Member

Aug 14, 2020
    Lincs
    Hi gang

I need advice please regarding a slight leak from my fuel tank. It's an 02/03 Daytona 955i and I've had a smell of fuel in my garage for a while. I took the (plastic) tank off and found that there is a slight weep from the front underside of the tank. There is a captive metal thread each side which a plastic clip fits into and holds the rubber mounting bush in place. Looks like a poor idea really, why not have the mount fit to the frame or even glued to the tank but hey-ho. So guys n gals I've no idea how to resolve this in a safe & permanent way so any help/guidance would be very much appreciated as I just wanna ride the damn thing without fear of being burned alive lol..........
    regards.
    Joe

2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    First things first, Joe - delete the post code from your profile entry!

I suspect that your plastic tank has been partially consumed by the ethanol monster - it's a fairly common problem, unfortunately. There'll be someone along shortly to give you ideas about how to resolve the problem!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    JB Weld or similar epoxy may stop the seepage. Others with more experience will chime in

• Like Like x 2
  4. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Line the entire tank with Caswell Plating Epoxy tank liner - this will also seal your tanks against Ethanol effects

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1