Fuel Tank Capacity

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mogwai, May 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    The spec sheet says 15.5L (or 4.1 gal in old money).

I ran it as close to empty as I would risk today (range showing 8km). Filled her up to a grand total of 13L!

When they quote the size, are they including an extra 2.5L for the bit designed for fuel expansion? That seems like a lot of extra space if so.

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ve never got close to 15 litres in mine either despite running it as close to dry as I dare (this is not a good idea btw, the fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel and can be damaged if run dry) don’t forget there is the fuel pump, filter and gauge sender in there too, suppose the only way to see how much will go in is if you empty all the fuel out then fill to the brim.
    Are you filling on the side stand or when it’s upright, could be a bit of difference there too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Good points.

Usually fill on the side stand. It would make more sense to actually state the usable portion of the tank then. But at least this is a common practice across manufacturers.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I’ve run mine past zero miles and kept on trucking! Can’t remember how many litres I got in though so totally unhelpful, sorry!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Still interesting though. I am never sure which way those range estimates are calibrated. I had a Citroen that would die at range =100 miles.

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That might not have been just fuel tho :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I did similar with my Bonneville Speedmaster and got in 2L less fuel than the stated tank capacity. Being on a sidestand couldn't affect things in my case because the filler cap is offset to the right and is at the very top of the tank curve when on the stand.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    Pushed mine way past what i was comfortable with one time when I was caught short. It was still running (must have been on fumes though) when I pulled in to a service station. I put 18.1 litres in it (supposedly 18 litre tank). (09 model)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Haven’t got more than 10.8l in yet and run until on last bar (each is 2l based on 6bars).
    I think the Triumph keep some in reserve for emergencies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    I hope so!

• Agree Agree x 1