Speedmaster Fuel Starvation With Lots In The Tank?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Katmandeux, Aug 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Alberta Canada
    07 Speedmaster rider here in Alberta Canada. Riding along minding my own business yesterday when one of our famous prairie downpours came up and shat upon me. If you’ve ever seen one of these storms, you’ll know what I’m talking about. Anyway, after about ten mins, my bike decided to act like it was starving for fuel, so off to the hard shoulder we go. It died and no amount of coaxing would get it to restart. I doubted it was bingo on fuel, having only fuelled up 50 miles back, but popped the cap just to be sure. Plenty of fuel, screwed the cap back on and waited a few mins, hit the button et voila, startage! Rolled on for ten mins and it happened again. This time I popped the cap right away and hit the button again, in business! No further incidents. So, finally getting to my question, are modern 21st century tank still subject to vapour lock, and what would rain have to do with it? Makes me a bit wary about taking her on the freeway if it’s going to be a common occurrence. Thanks for any input.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Alberta Canada
    That was my first thought too, but I did nothing to dry off any components, and it pissed down the entire time I was sidelined.

3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Opening the fuel cap makes me think that the fuel cap vent is blocked or the fuel tank vent system.

Do you have a charcoal canister fitted for emission control ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My first thoughts were the same a Oldyam's, i.e. an airlock. If it happens again, try to open the filler cap when it is quiet where you are and listen (with helmet/earplugs removed) for a hiss when the cap is slowly opened. If it does hiss, then you have an airlock:). If not, then look elsewhere!:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1