Fuel pump help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by nigel Bessant, Mar 5, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    image.jpg Hi All,

Further to my newbie post regarding speed triple not starting, I have found out that this might be a fuel issue. I squirted a little petrol into the intakes and just for a second she fired up. So I took the fuel pump unit out of the tank as I could not hear it working. The inside of the tank and the pump/filter unit looks like it's from a bike from the 50's !
    The inside of the tank is so rusty that I find it hard to believe, the unit too is rusty and has had a botch job done. I think I need a new one. Have looked on ebay but unsure which to go for. This bike had. A different engine put into the frame as it does not tally up according to information I have been given.
    Questions, how can I find out what cc my engine is? Triumph dealers say they cannot help by just the engine number.
    Will any of the pumps work or will it have to be one for the engine cc?
    Can anyone tell me what tank has been fitted to the bike as if I can't clean out the tank, it will mean a new one?

I'd be grateful of any info.

Thanks
    Nigel

2. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    Hi Nigal,
    just about any motorcycle fuel pump will work but you need to consider the fitting if any, some are just in line on the fuel hose,
    re the fuel tank I am sorry to say if it is rusty you will never got it clean and will suffer with filters blocking up, there are products on the market which line the tank (like a paint) be these do not stand the test of time it flakes and you are back where you started,
    can you get a part number for the pump from Triumphs with your vin number ? but it would be cheaper to get one from flebay of National Triumph or Triumph Ant both are on the net,
    re your tank I have no idea if it is the correct one or not and if not I am sorry I can not tell you which bike it is from,
    good luck I am sure you will get it sorted.
    Keith

3. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Hi Keith,
    Thanks for reply. I'm going to give the tank a dose coke and harpic as recommended by the Z1 Owners Club and see what happens. I'll look at getting a pump assembly from ebay.
    The pump in my tank is not worth spending the time on, but worse, it was sealed into the tank with some sort of aerobic sealant so I've no idea what the seal should be.
    I'll get over it somehow.

Cheers
    Nigel

4. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    :))) I have never heard of that Nigel, I have heard of poeple using small stones and shaking it around for a long time which does work if you have a week free :) and I am surprised to hear the pump is bonded to the tank, it is normally fitted on the tank filler ring it might be worth checking to see if that is a standard fitting or something sombody has done ?
    Keith

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  6. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    I've never tried it Keith, but it's three parts full fat cola to one part harpic and leave for a week.
    The pump was bonded in as a botch I'd say. Looking on eBay, it looks like an o ring is the proper seal.

7. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Thanks for searching, that's good of you.
    The pump assembly on mine I have found, by trawling ebay, is the same as the TT600 with two quick release couplings. I've no idea which one goes where as when I bought the bike as a non runner, the tank was not connected. Both of the disconnected fuel lines go to a common rail so I wonder if one is a return to the tank?

8. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    Yes it should be Nigel,
    Keith

9. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Hi Nigel
    The tt600 tank connectors are colour coded red and white, as you look forward (as if you are riding the bike) the red connector his for the line on the left of the rail, the white is for the line attached to the right side of the rail, one is the flow, the other the return. Hope his helps.
    Martigw1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Will order one tomorrow :)

11. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Thanks for this info, very very useful.
    Nigel

12. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Well, the TT600 fuel pump arrived today and................it doesn't fit, the base plate is a larger diameter than mine.
    I'm at a loss as to the pump and tank I have

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's very frustrating. Is there any way you can cannibalise the pump from the new one and install it on the original baseplate?

14. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    Can you put some picks up so we can see if we can help.
    Keith

15. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Very frustrating. I think I will try to piece together a working unit onto the old baseplate as you say. Original base was as rusty as a barn find. I will need to have it blasted and re-plated or something.

16. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    I will Keith, photos are the only way forward with this thread me thinks.
    The coke and harpic is currently working it's way through the metal of the tank and if there is anything left of any resemblance I will take photographs.
    Joking aside, I have to leave the tank soaking for a week but will add pictures as soon as.
    I still can't identify the tank though, despite viewing 1300 of them on eBay as a reference!

17. Keith Inglis

Keith Inglis Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Kings Lynn
    Nigel,
    I keep looking at your tank are you sure that is not a Trophy 900 tank it looks very similar to my 1992 Trophy ???
    Keith

18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    What year is your Speed Triple? Might be interesting to see what an original tank looks like?

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #19 thebiglad, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  20. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Definitely not a Trophy tank.