Fuel Leak From Overflow

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gareth daytona 600, Nov 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gareth daytona 600

Gareth daytona 600 New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Lewis
    Hi I have a daytona 600 filled it up with tesco momentum now leaks from over flow if the fuel cap is closed anyone know what this could be thanks in advance

2. Gareth daytona 600

Nov 5, 2020
    Lewis
    OK ill give it a try thanks

• Like Like x 1
  3. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Well this is one unfortunate potential:
    There are two tubes that go through the interior of the tank, leading from the Fuel Neck to the two drain nipples at the bottom; one is the vent, the other is the scupper drain (which drains overfilled fuel or water that leaks down there from the cap in rain or washing)
    The 'drain' one might temporarily drip right after it's over-filled but this should quickly dissipate.
    But here's the bad news - it is not uncommon for those tubes inside the tank to develop pin holes, where fuel leaks directly into the tubes from the gas in the tank. I had this problem myself (and it is not at all uncommon) - the signature I first realized was that it would drip fuel when filled, but once the level dropped to about half, it would stop - the hole in the tube was about half down inside which explained why it would no longer drip once the fuel level dropped below the hole.
    The 'fix' is to coat the tube inside the tank with a fuel resistant epoxy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gareth daytona 600

Nov 5, 2020
    Lewis
    I'm going to take it to work today which should burn off any excess fuel . Its leaking out of the thinner hose is thst the one your thinking

5. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #5 D'Ecosse, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1