Fuel In Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Boot57, May 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boot57

Boot57 New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Watford UK
    I'm (slowly) doing up a '93 Trident. Refurbed and refitted the carbs and seem to be working ok with remote fuel bottle but very slowly the fuel level still drops in the bottle after it has filled the carbs. Drained the engine oil and it was very thin, being contaminated with petrol. Subsequently found more fuel in the sump since testing the carbs. The carbs shut off needles on the floats have been renewed so am I doing something stupid or missing something obvious. Happy to be called a Twat if I can find the cure!

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome mate, have you checked the float heights after the carbs have been fitted and primed with fuel?

3. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Sounds like your new float needles aren’t sealing when the float bowls fill with fuel?
    Could be a fleck if dirt on one of the seats or could be the float level is too high or even a float is not floating?
    Best of luck resolving it
    Taff

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Boot57

Boot57 New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Watford UK
    yep checked them according to Haynes. I couldnt blow through the pipe with the needles closed. Doesnt sound like I have any option but whipping them out again. Bollox
    Thanks though

5. Boot57

Boot57 New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Watford UK
    Cheers Taff

6. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    I had a similar issue with my '98 TBS.
    I believe that they're the same engine (?).
    I was told that it was when on the side stand the fuel in the carbs would drain to that side and flood it, I had fuel dripping from the air box.
    The solution was to shut off the pet cock and let it run for a bit, to drop the fuel levels in the carbs, before parking up.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Boot57

Boot57 New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Watford UK
    That would make some sense. I removed the centre stand as it was rotten and can only use the side stand.
    Thanks

8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have seen porous floats that will gradually fill with fuel and thereby keeping the needle valves open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    There's an o ring on the outside of needle seat insert. This can crack or harden and shrink which the allows fuel to seep around the outside of the seating and into the float chamber causing it to flood and run into the motor giving the problems you describe.
    It will also cause over rich running.

10. Boot57

Boot57 New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Watford UK
    Sounds possible. Thanks for your help

• Like Like x 1